Silver Lounger
    Thanks

WU and Disk Management.

Hello Ted.

I did too accept all updates on the 13th and thus far, narry a problem. (Three machines ).

But I have a question for you, I got this Acer 18 months ago, a twin to my friend's Acer so I could help him if need be. Need be today ! His is quite different from mine now. I have one partition, he has three. Both these machines came with Vista and I got two copies of W-7 and installed them on the twin Acers. He does not know enough about doing partitions and I am hesitating in working on his so I will not crunge his data.
    I went into Disk Management and I wanted to"merge" his virgin D:\ with his C:\ to give him full access to his HD. I have used G-Parted before on mine but his problem I did not resolve using Disk Management. In DM, I see a greyed out Extent and a live Shrink; from his C:\ it would be an Extend and from his D:\ it would be a Shrink. This is where I desisted, if I did this Shrink on the empty D:\ would it do the desired action, ie: "extend" the C:\ into the space of the D:\ ?
    I hope that my note is clear enough for your help.

I wanted to do a clone of his HD but I needed to clean it up first. His machine is really "modified" and he has no idea how that came about. Any time that he does a letter and wants to save it, it goes to an HTML Web format, not .doc. I tried to show him the Save as : but it is not there. Funny, we have the exact same Office cum Word.

I hope that all is fine with you and that Kriss Kringle will find your chimney.

I forgot, last while, you gave a hint to another reader about TeamViewer. I went and got it too, runs fine, thanks.
    Last edited by handcuff36; 2011-12-18 at 19:23. Reason: Added line.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I'd say it would simply be a case of deleting volume D and extend volume C, in Disk Management.

I would backup the whole disk before starting, though.

Thanks
    If D is indeed empty as you say then delete and extend C to include D. I would choose to use a 3rd party partitioning app such as Partition Wizard or EaseUS Partition Magic for this chore. I trust these apps more than the Win 7 Disk Manager (although many have had good results with Disk Manager)

The file association seems to have somehow changed. Have him right click a file in question and choose Open With, then select Word (Make sure the always use this app to open this type file is checked) This should reset the file association for .doc files.

As to how this all happened???? Someone had to have done some partitioning to cause this. You mentioned his has 3 partitions. What is the 3rd partition?
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ruirib, good morning. Nice to read your reply, thanks. As to Extending the C:\ to absorb the virgin D:\, when this is tried, the "Extend" option in Disk Management, is greyed out. I think that ( maybe ) this is not allowed on the boot drive ( partition ). Can you confirm to me that backing up the C:\ would include all the working data, I mean the boot stuff that W-7 needs toget going. Looks to me at this time, that a re-instal of W-7 would be required.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Greets to you Ted. With regards to the WebMail instead of .doc in saving a text, I found this on some site:

Has anyone noticed that ISP's want you to use web mail now?
    They have dropped all 3rd party support for email --- be it OE6, outlook, thunderbird or any 3rd party email client. They (ATT) only supports the web mail now.

I had tried to re-associate the file to a .doc using your method which is the proper way, but it would not accept this. In the File -> Save menu, the Save As is missing on my friend's Office Word.

As I was just writing to Ruirib, when trying to Extend the C:\ partition into the D:\, the command is greyed out, when in Disk Management. Using G-Parted might be the needed app. The third partition, a small one before the C:\, has a Recovery name to it. Remember, this machine was updated from Vista with a MS provided via Acer, a DVD that was supposed to flush all on the disk and not reset the Recovery partition as it is now useless as we have the DVD to redo if neccessary. Do you know if the Backup fonction in W-7 would redo this partition ? Maybe this was the "someone" who did this ??? My Acer does not show this at all, it is a twin to his.

Have a great day.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Hi,

Have you deleted the D volume? I am not a frequent user of Disk Management, but I think the Expand option will only be offered if you have free space that can be used to expand it. If all the space is taken by existing partitions, no expand option will be offered.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ruirib, me again.
    >>> Have you deleted the D volume?
    No matter what I did to this D:\ partition, nothing would activate the Expand from grey to black, on the C:\. Methinks that it is a protection for too hazardous users. I just talk to my friend and we agreed that he will use the Acer as is and when it goes too slow or strange, we would redo the OS. I would try G-Parted first, I think that it operates outside of the OS, all in RAM and thus allow this action. Right ???

Administrator
    Thanks
    I don't G-Parted. Before Disk Manager I used Acronis Disk Director, that's the one I know. For simple partition deletion and expansion the Windows DM works very well, as far as my experience can tell.