New Lounger
    Thanks

2-Factor Authentication in Outlook.Com and Windows Live Mail 2012

I have 2-factor authentication enabled for Hotmail/Outlook.com and it works fine.

Because of the recent inaccessibility of Hotmail/Outlook.com earlier today I downloaded and installed Windows Live Mail 2012. I had hoped to sync my Outlook.com/Hotmail messages with Windows Live Mail 2012 so that I would have a local backup. I had done this successfully a while ago with Hotmail and the then version of Windows Live Mail. When I did that sync there was no 2-factor authentication available in Hotmail (as it then was called).

I was unable to sign into Windows Live Mail 2012: I entered the Hotmail/Outlook.com address and the correct password for the account but the response was that the emai address and/or password was incorrect. When I tried to log in to Windows Live Mail 2012 with my Hotmail/Outlook.com account, I was not offered the option of having the system text my mobile phone or otherwise do the 2-factor authentication for my Hotmail/Outlook.com account.

Is there any way of telling Windows Live Mail 2012 to do 2-factor authentication (such as send me an SMS message) so that I can complete my log-in to Windows Live Mail 2012? Or do I have to remove 2-factor authentication from Hotmail/Outlook.com?

Any help would be appreciated.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    After I hsd posted my question I got an email from Microsoft at my alternate email address telling me how to set up a password for programs that don't work with 2-factor authentication. Windows Live Mail wasn't mentioned in the list of targeted programs; the focus was on tablets and smartphones. Nonetheless I tried the process with Windows Live Mail 2012 and the password I had generated worked fine.

I have been using Hotmail (now Outlook.com) since the late 1990s. Doing the sync was VERY long, quite a few hours, in fact.

For those who are cautious, the downloading does NOT remove the emails on Microsoft's servers: when I logged into Hotmail/Outlook.com online, the same emails were there (at least the latest ones). I live in Canada so this is the Canadian download but here's the link for Windows Live Essentials: http://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/downl...s.aspx?id=3945

You can get your password at https://account.live.com Each program requires the generation of a new password.

I next need to find out what files were generated when the download was done so that I can copy the download-generated files to a backup drive.