Lounger
    Thanks

Problem installing Office 2010 Home & Student over Office 2003

I am trying to help a friend with the installation of Office 2010 but I am stuck.
    His Thinkpad came (a year or so ago) with the 2010 trial but he chose not to use that at first and installed his Office 2002 (aka Office XP I think?). That has run fine. The OS is Win 7 32 Home.
    He now wishes to install Office 2010 Home & Student (and later I expect Access 2010).

Forgetting about or being unaware of the pre-install, I tried the route of downloading the 2010 trial from the Office web site. That failed because the installation process wanted to install on the Q: partition! Q: is the Lenovo Thinkpad recovery partition - we don't want Office there!
    I surmised this was because the installation process had detected either the old Office 2002/XP or the pre-installed 2010. So I set about uninstalling the old Office 2002/XP apparently successfully. Still no luck.
    I tried using the offered procedure for activating the pre-installed trial but it fails; it wants a fix installed which does not help. It also suggests an MS Office web page which contains tools for removing Office versions. I ran those - several of them for good measure - but no improvement.
    I also tried removing the MS Office activation tool but I am still unable install the trial from the web site.

A little later ....
    I have tried creating a D: partition so that there is somewhere else for the new Office to be installed, but it still wants to put it on Q: .... Why??

What's it worried about? Why can't I get it to ignore whatever is there and simply install a fresh version?
    Why can't Microsoft make it easier to set up Office 2010?
    The resent situation is that neither version of Office is usable!
    Last edited by Davidhs; 2011-12-20 at 07:57.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    As long as there is enough space on the partition where you want to install do a custom install. That should allow you to specify where Office is installed.

Do you really have Office 2003 installed or was that a typo?

Do you have a specific error message for the Office 2010 install?

Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Joe,
    ... and, yes, there is bags of space on his C: - 72GB. And now there is a D: with 38GB as well.
    Not my machine remember, but I think I did a Help / About early on and I thought it said 2002. He has in the past referred to it as Office XP. I am not familiar with these pre-historic versions so I am not sure.

As to the error message from the "MS Office Click to Run Bootstrapper", it says:
    "There was a problem setting up MS Office Home and Student 2010. This product must be installed to Q:. Ensure that Q: is unused and try again."
    As I have said, Q: is the Lenovo Recovery partition and has little free space. I don't intend to mess about with that.

I feel that if only I could do a classic full installation without the help of the bootstrapper I might make better progress. So I have been looking around for a full download of Office 2010 - from a reliable source, of course. But everything that looks trustworthy points back to the MS Office trial web site, which gave me the bootstrapper in the first place.

Does anyone know if it is possible to get hold of a full download? I will put up with the time it takes. I maanaged 300MB for something else this morning without difficulty.

Thanks
    Last edited by Davidhs; 2011-12-20 at 09:11.

Administrator
    Thanks
    This should be a direct download from Digital River - Office 2010 single image with SP1. Digital River is an authorized Microsoft download partner. You must have a valid retail key to install from this download. The product key you enter determines the version you install.

Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Joe.
    My friend has a key card on order but it hasn't arrived yet.

However I think I have found the answer. On MS Help & Support, Article ID: 982757 talks about exactly the error message I received and says:
    "This problem occurs when the Q drive letter is assigned to a device, such as a hard disk drive. This problem occurs because Office 2010 that is delivered by Click-to-Run is installed on the Q drive. This cannot be changed. To work around this problem, change the assigned drive letter from Q to a different drive letter."
    The final comment is: "This behavior is by design."
    That's all very well for Microsoft, but for Lenovo (and any other manufacturers possibly?) users whose Recovery partition is assigned the same letter it is very very confusing and time wasting.

So I changed the Q; partition to R: ... and the installation then ran happily. As I write, the updates to Office are being applied.

So thanks for your help Joe and I will keep the Digital River option in mind for the next time I want a full copy of something.

David