New Lounger
    Thanks

Failed Video Card - Quick Replacement Recommendations? Lenovo 6075-A5U

We're a small office/non-profit providing rides to senior citizens.

Have a Lenovo ThinkCentre desktop tower, type 6075 Model A5U (MSeries?), Late '07/early '08 model I think. OS is XP SP3. Was given to us several years ago by IBM thru their local non-profit grant program.

Machine had a Nvidia GeForce 7300GS PCIe x16, D256M. Has a Feb. 07 date on it. It failed yesterday. Apparently fan locked up and card overheated.

Need to replace fast! Since it is a fairly OLD machine really need a few basic recommendations on compatible cards.

My only criteria beyond compatibility is that it must be dual monitor (VGA) capable.

CPU is Intel Core2 Duo, 2.33 GHz. Looks like the power supply is max 280 watts. A few PCIe16's specs on Newegg say minimum 400 watt power supply. Geez, no where near that in this box.

Have looked at a few PCIe x16 boards on Newegg. I'm not familiar with x1 vs. x2.x standards. Is X2 backward compatible to X1. Am assuming this machine's motherboard is X1?

Also, which bus width is compatible? 32 or 64 bit?

Please, any quick recommendations on a card?

If can't recommend a brand and model please at least the specs I need to look for to ensure compatible. Again, as long as it's dual monitor I'm happy. No heavy graphics work or gaming.

If need more info let me know.

Thanks!

Ken

Thanks
    According to the specs on your particular Lenovo model, your motherboard has integrated video graphics (Intel GMA 3100) capability. When the Nvidia card was originally installed, it disabled the integrated graphics adapter. If you go inside your case and carefully remove the failed Nvidia card, (guard against static discharge) you should be able to use the integrated Intel adapter. It may be best to go into your BIOS setup to confirm the integrated video is set to enabled before you remove the Nvidia card.

As soon as you power on the PC, look for a message about pressing F1, Del, or F2 to enter Setup or BIOS (the specific key to press varies among PC brands). Press whichever key you are shown to enter.

Onboard video will be fine with standard business usage.

Oops, sorry, I missed the requirement to be dual monitor capable.

If you really prefer a PCI-E video card, then you might check out eBay for one just like your original Nvidia model. A couple of years ago, I picked up a 3DFX Voodoo 3 video card, brand new, for $16 on eBay when I was restoring my old Pentium II PC to play some old classic PC games that used the Glide API for 3D effects. (3DFX was subsequently bought out by Nvidia and buried). You might be able to pick up a new card that won't tax your power supply for next to nothing.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Deadeye81 For This Useful Post:

kenh99 (2011-12-20)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Deadeye!

Yes, am using the onboard video now but must get back to dual monitor.

I'll check Ebay but if anyone else has recommendations for a new card please respond.