Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Question Adobe Flash CS5: all files have disappeared from Open/Recent lists

Panic! Just went to open a .fla or .swf file in CS5 and nothing happened! Usually, the 5 or 6 files I'd saved are listed under Recent or when I click on Open. This time, nothing was listed under Recent; when I clicked File - Open Recent, I did see some of my .fla files listed, but clicking on any of them brought up an Adobe error box "Failed to open document" and the item disappeared from that list!

I have been using the program to modify a Flash template by inserting our content. My level of expertise is Newbie Level 1 so I am panicking - these files are essential to the new product we're about to launch.

Tried Search in Windows; looked for files in Mozy Home Restore and on external HDD - nothing.

There has been no problem with the computer. Recently, I applied all Windows Secrets recommended patches, cleaned out the Startup folder. I have not tried to access these files for several weeks and was stunned when I tried to do so now.

Can anyone help me with this? I couldn't find anything relevant (or that I could understand) in Adobe's Support Center. Not sure where else to turn so, as always, I come here!

Thanks for any suggestions,

Linda

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, it doesn't seem to be an Adobe problem but rather a missing files problem so I think searching in every nook and cranny on any storage medium that could possibly hold the files that is or was attached directly or through any network connections is the best bet.
    There wasn't a thumbdrive attached at one time and it was removed or something like that? If they're not in the Mozy backup and its current then they probably aren't in any of the corresponding locations on your computer so I'm just trying to think of alternate places where they might be.
    A very thorough search of all locations on the computer both indexed and not, and hidden or not, and system folder or not seems in order.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks so much for your suggestions. Tried the non-indexed and hidden with no success; then, got some sleep and started trying to think of other places, as you'd said. Realized I'd been sending the files to our web site guy and so searched in my email folders. There they were! I opened them in Flash CS5, saved with a couple of different names; held my breath when I closed the files and was hugely relieved to find the files I'd just saved listed right where the former ones had been, under Recent.

It really is so strange. Can't figure out whatever happened to the original files, but can do what's needed now I've got these back. One of these days, will try to do some more sleuthing to discover just what could have possibly happened! Could an Adobe update have deleted files somehow? Never updated CS5 itself, just the usual updates that come through for Adobe products?

Again, appreciate your help - very much!

Linda
    Last edited by IreneLinda; 2011-12-23 at 15:10. Reason: Added question re. Adobe updates.