5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The best of LangaList Plus 2011

TOP STORY

The best of LangaList Plus 2011

By Fred Langa

Every issue, the LangaList Plus technical Q&A tackles difficult and sometimes esoteric problems sent in by Windows Secrets subscribers.

For this last LangaList Plus of 2011, we've assembled some of the most popular Langa stories of this past year; we cover topics ranging from working around a Windows 7 networking bug to 14 free tools for digging out stubborn malware infections.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/top-story//the-best-of-LangaList-Plus-2011/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have followed Fred for many years now via Langalist and now WS. Fred has a knack which many should try and follow. That is his advice is always to the point and unburdened by "technospeak" and, better, it pretty well always works. If it doesn't then the reader has failed to follow the instructions. WS is indeed lucky to have Fred Langa on board. I recently told him that and he was appreciative. Not my first interaction with Fred I must add. Great bloke and WS readers should take note of anything which Fred says. And no he is not paying me. I speak as one who was once a novice greatly helped by Langalist. I shall forever be indebted to Fred Langa for giving me information and the confidence to try. A man who knows his stuff and can express it in comprehensible English (I'm a Brit so the spellings sometimes don't fit!)
    Last edited by bewick; 2011-12-21 at 19:57.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    In the "Remove a recurring malware infection" section, it is worth noting that Trend Micro's RootBuster 5.001041 as downloaded from the embedded link does not install on 64 bit operating systems. I used the Sophos Anti-Rootkit successfully.

Thanks
    I've always had a high opinion of Fred Langa, and I subscribed to his "LangaList" for a number of years before he merged it with Windows Secrets (indeed, I think that's how I came to subscribe to Windows Secrets). But his current article, "Best of LangaList Plus," gave me pause. I was really surprised to see him recommending Ad-Aware as one of four "general-purpose malware removers." Sure, years ago Ad-Aware was an excellent product, but now? Indeed, just a short while ago in this forum someone called attention to some very troubling news about Lavasoft, the company that makes Ad-Aware. The news was found here: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/11...as_new_owners/
    The thread in Windows Secrets that presented the link and included several people who agreed that Ad-Aware is no longer a good product is found at http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...light=ad-aware

Thanks

Ad Aware Versions

It has always been true that not all versions of AdAware are free. To get rootkit detection and removal, the paid versions must be purchased. This has always been true. The Register article is indeed troubling, and I would not recommend continued use of any version of this product. It is past its prime and now heading for what appears to be the shady side of the antivirus street.

Super Antispyware (INFO) has detected on two of my laptops items which Malwarebytes has missed, and Malwarebytes sometimes finds things which Super Antispyware misses. Together, these are excellent tools for rootkit removal. Microsoft has a stand-alone removal tool for deeply infected computers called System Sweeper ( REVIEW ). I list an outside review because the Susan Bradley review in the Windows Secrets Newsletter is paid content. If none of these tools can rescue and clean up an infected computer, it's time for a reformat and reinstall, or at least a reformat and roll back to a System Image from before the infection was suspected.

Beware however, that Malwarebytes on some Windows XP SP3 systems recently has been flagging important Windows System Files as malicious. These false-positives are persistent and are beginning to erode the good reputation of Malwarebytes. If these system files are quarantined or removed, Windows will not function. I found this out the hard way on my older laptop.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2011-12-22 at 11:55.
    -- Bob Primak --

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Why is it that in all your articles re anti-malware you generally fail to mention and consider EmsiSoft's Anti-malware? I've been using it for years with excellent results

New Lounger
    Thanks

Win7 Task Manager and properties

Mr. Langa states "Vista and Win7 can use Process Explorer but really don't need to. Their version of Task Manager can display the full properties of any process you right-click on no extra software is needed."

In fact, on my Win7 machine, when I ask for properties on a process I get the properties of the executable file, not the process itself. I plan to download Process Explorer to get full information about processes that it provides.

The Win7 Task Manager does have a Resource Monitor window which is quite informative as well (button is on the Performance tab).