New Lounger
    Thanks

How to stop Office Professional Hybrid installer

I have Office 2007 Home and Student. This machine once had a pre-installed trial of 2007 Pro but I thought I had removed that once and for all.
    Office 2007 of course doesn't have Outlook so I installed an old version of Outlook 2003 from a Pro version.

Everything was fine until a recent Windows Update. Now, whenever I open Word, Excel, or Outlook I get Windows Installer trying to install Office 2007 Pro hybrid. I've tried letting it run to conclusion but it makes no difference. It comes up next time. Easily cancelled but it is a total nuisance. Any ideas from the clued up fraternity? (I have tried Google but so many on there haven't a clue what they are talking about). I KNOW that I can uninstall the installer but don't know which one and don't wish to remove one of my licences for Office 2007 by accident. Microsoft tell me that once installed then it cannot be removed from one machine and then used in another. I have 3 licences. One is dead in a dead laptop. Don't want to lose another because I was reserving that to use in revitalised desktop.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The only thing I think I might be able to help with is the 'dead in a dead laptop' problem. It seems unlikely that you can't solve that problem by a simple call to MS, with your serial number at the ready, along with all details of the dead laptop. This is Office, not Windows, and you should be able to move that from machine to machine even if you can't perform an online uninstall. That does, however, raise the question of how dead the dead laptop really is: you might get some help here as to whether or not there is a chance of reviving it, if you care to add some details.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dogberry For This Useful Post:

bewick (2011-12-27)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    You should always install Office from the oldest version first to the newest last. You should uninstall both versions then install Office 2003, apply all service packs and patches, install Office 2007, apply all Office 2007 service packs and patches. You should not have to worry about "using up" licenses as you can always reinstall on the same PC using the same license. Should you run into some license issue a simple call to Microsoft will most likely resolve the issue.

Joe

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

bewick (2011-12-27)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you dogberry. The laptop really is dead. It won't even switch on since I did something silly and blew something! Must have had a bad day and tried whatever I was doing with battery still in place - and no it isn't the actual battery because it still works in a clone machine as does the charger. Hardware repair is the only route.I have revived many machines for friends which "died" because of software faults. They, though could all be switched on which is a little essential.
    And yes I DO know that my 2nd question was about Office rather than Windows. Fact is though that an email to Microsoft as a simple enquiry in early days, before the old laptop died, elicited a response that NO it wasn't possible and that once used a licence couldn't be transferred.
    Since your suggestion is mirrored by another I am now quite clear that whoever answered my query was a "green ears" on the Microsoft help desk.
    Thank you for your suggestions.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe
    That sounds like seriously good advice. Dogberry also suggested that the Office licence IS transferrable. I always thought that it should be and I clearly was given rubbish advice by Microsoft. Hell I actually WON this 3 licence copy from Microsoft themselves and it IS a normal retail version.

Once I have completed my online tax return (no point taking risks) I shall try your suggestion of "oldest first" - AFTER making sure that Microsoft recognises transferrability as both you and dogberry say. It sounds SO right.
    Thanks for your help. I just knew that WS forum would provide the correct answer and you and Dogberry have proven that.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Whatever may be wrong with the dead laptop, a simple trick is to invest in a set of tiny screwdrivers which cost almost nothing and which will let you physically remove the drive. Depending on the specific model of the drive, you can get a modestly-priced USB adapter to put it in, and strip it of any and all useful data for transfer to another machine and then, if the rest of the machine is obsolete or unrepairable, you can still use the drive as a portable external drive. That is a matter of scavenging, but it may be less expensive than a new drive if it has enough storage to make it worthwhile.

Something else to look into is that if it's the same type of drive as your other machine uses, you can even swap it into that to see if it will run in that. You may have to update some drivers, and it's probably inferior to the new hardware, but if it runs you can back it up, swap drives again, and have the old system running on the new drive. That sounds a bit silly, since it's a waste of the new operating system serial, but if you invested a fortune in software and setup and want to keep it running without starting from scratch that might work. (You can reset the O/S serial number to the new number if there is a problem with that.)

All of that still assumes that the computer itself is dead for non-hard drive reasons. If it happens to be an easy-to-fix reason, you may still get help in the Lounge or elsewhere, and you will have a second functioning computer at a very small cost.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to dogberry For This Useful Post:

bewick (2011-12-27)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks dogberry. Already have the screwdriver set, and the USB device to read hard drives of all types externally. Already saved and recovered all of my data and programs. I used a very old laptop - about to be scavenged and then dumped - to do that. The screwdriver set allowed me to recover that one - once a dead machine owned by a friend which served me well for a year or more. I already used an old, but small, laptop hard drive (actually bought) to make a very cheap external hard drive. That has stopped working but it may be the drive rather than the enclosure. The drive was cheap. I'll swap and see.

Swapping drives in a Sony is a seriously major task so I'm not about to strip this one down.FAR less than intuitive. I suspect that the problem with the dead machine may well be the little bit that controls the incoming power supply but I have no electronic skills and my eye/hand co-ordination stopped me becoming a surgeon. 'nough said. I can do lots but detailed physical work is not in my skill set. Put me up against a lawyer though and my particular skills usually win! I am not a lawyer but, because of that, am not constrained by legal procedure even though I KNOW legal procedure and am actually qualified in one seriously complex aspect of law.
    Give me a liver to dissect and I'll manage but messily. Give me a dead computer and I usually restore - but not this particular one. Give me a soldering iron and I can manage a passable but messy job. Give me a motherboard and a failed component? Well, even if I could identify the failed component, my co-ordination would not be precise enough to fix. You get the picture. I can chop logs but cannot carve wood.
    Wow I've never read my last comment anywhere before. Perhaps I've invented a new saying and I copyright it now. YOU can use it if you attribute it to me.
    Last edited by bewick; 2011-12-27 at 13:41.

Administrator
    Thanks
    If you have retail licenses for any Microsoft software then the software may be legally installed on another PC as long as the original installation is no longer used.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe
    without doing anything at all the problem corrected itself. I suspect a flawed MS update first caused and has now been corrected

Administrator
    Thanks
    Sometimes, it is a pleasant mystery why things get fixed. Glad you got it resolved. Thanks for posting back.

Joe