New Lounger
    Thanks

Oversize "icon" for desktop?

Our public library has a small computer lab w/ 6 laptops donated by a local family. We're looking for a way to prominently feature the movie/ slideshow we put together for the lab's launch event.

The movie is a WMV file & we'd like for patrons to have the option of clicking on a large picture on the desktop to open the movie so they can learn a bit about the lab & its history. All the laptops are running Windows 7. Ideally the "icon" would take up about 15-25% of the screen real estate.

Windows icons are capped at 48 x 48 pixels, so that won't work.

I could set an image as a background, but then I don't think I could make that clickable.

Even if a Windows desktop gadget of some sort might work, I lack the programming chops to pull that together.

Thoughts from the Great Brain ? I hope I'm overlooking some relatively easy solution ...

Thanks in advance!

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sv651 View Post
    I hope I'm overlooking some relatively easy solution ...

"sv",
    Hello...What if you clicked on the "slide show" executable icon, and moved it to desktop (create Shortcut) ...Then right click it and choose "Properties">Change Icon>Browse... Make a folder with whatever picture you choose, and then select it... Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I've already tried that approach -- which is why I mentioned in my post that Windows icons are capped at 48 x 48 pixels.

If you try to assign a JPG as the icon you get an error message: "The file [...] contains no icons."

Shame -- could have used that "beer" ...

A friend suggested using a mosaic of small icons, using panels from our preferred image, to create one large pseudo-icon. Each of the icons would link to the file I want to load. Interesting idea!

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Active Desktop (a clickable interactive desktop) was replaced in Vista and Win7 by gadgets, first in the sidebar in Vista, then improved in Win7. Building a desktop gadget can get a bit scary when you have to follow the design rules and use the API.

However it's fairly straightforward to build a quick and dirty desktop gadget by using a work-around that avoids coding.

Build a WidgetBox Widget (using the wysiwyg editor). Then use a freeware tool such as Amnesty Generator to convert the widget to a desktop gadget.

You may need to play around a bit with the Widget to get it to play the video, but it should be workable. You can set the dimensions of your gadget to whatever you require. At first glance, running the converter appears not to do very much, but when you click the generate button it imports the new gadget into the gallery from where you can add it to your desktop.
    Last edited by Tinto Tech; 2011-12-22 at 19:11.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sv651 View Post

Shame -- could have used that "beer" ...
    "sv"
    Hello... If "TintoTech's" advice doesn't workout there is a program ..you can try it for free IcoFx There is also a forum that you might get some "info" there... Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)