5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Spam from Google

Does anyone know the cure for the outrageous spam those of us who have a Google Toolbar in IE? This is an incurable flyout (or something) to invite us to do something, and it won't take no for an answer. I can't get rid of it. Windows task manager is no help, and I can't figure out how to uninstall the Google Toolbar that is giving it to me. It is vexatious and infuriating and IE is inoperable, presumably absent my ticking what they want me to tick.

Google, Wired Magazine has told us, 'owns the internet', and this is vexatious in the extreme. I may blow a gasket. Whoever we are supposed to report spam to, needs to have this reported to them. How many users has Google hijacked IE from? How many of those users wasted how much time in trying to say no, and tried to recover control of IE?

Wait, I have it. I will shut down (I am using another browser to post this with, with the frozen IE still running), and when I reboot I will use Revo to uninstall Google Toolbar. It might work, but can I collect damages from Google?

Amendment: I must make one correction, with apologies to Google and a compulsion to read the article: December 2011 Wired Magazine headlined 'Amazon Owns The Internet', which is admittedly intriguing.
    Last edited by dogberry; 2011-12-22 at 17:16. Reason: Amendment

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Can you remove it via Control Panel / Add Remove Programs?

That's how I got rid of mine.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I have the google toolbar in IE 9 and have no spam whatsoever.

Thanks
    I do not have any extra Toolbars, don't need them. I do use Google as my default search engine, but do not need their Toolbar for that. The Toolbar uses resources, so good-bye. Revo should be able to uninstall it for you.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    2011-12-22_143013.gif

Revo Pro appeared to work and it no longer shows it, but it is returning like The Ghost of You-Know-What. That is after two cold reboots so far. Control Panel is a No Go either.

I could crumble and say Okay, but it's not Okay, not with The Ghost of Yada Yada.

Discussions of pending class-action lawsuits are strictly forbidden in The Lounge.

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I had a call from a client yesterday complaining about something that sounds suspiciously similar.

Being just a wee bit busy this time of year, I could only offer a quick review later in the week. Since I didn't have time to visit, nor run a remote desktop session I havent seen it myself to check what it is.

Anyway, the client called back this morning to say that by pressing Esc the pop-open dialog box disapeared.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Your client was correct. He or she gets a hot toddy or eggnog or warm teddy or cuddly lady or whatever is age and gender-appropriate. Google gets a lump of coal in its stocking.

I can't quite call it non-intutive - it is one of those usual things we should normally try - but when it is as intrusive and visually shocking as this was I started a full scan when it locked up IE and couldn't be got rid of. It remains to be seen whether or not it can be got rid of for good.

Thank you VERY much for the tip.