New Lounger
    Thanks

Auto defrag AFTER switching from SSD to HD.

Hi,

I installed Win 7 in my office PC on an SSD. When the SSD failed a few months later, I restored a backup image to an HD and don't plan on going back to an SSD in the near term; I will use the warranty replacement SSD for in-car media or something.

Since C: was initially an SSD, Windows doesn't give the option of having a scheduled defrag.

I'm looking for what I need to do to let Windows know (for defrag and anything else it matters for) that its now installed on a regular HD.

I'm guessing the answer is out on the web but I haven't found the magic search words to find it.

TIA

Thanks
    Check in "services.msc" to ensure that it is enabled and set to active.
    Then run the defrag [dfrgui] utility and set it's schedule as desired.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    ....and you are definitely going to want to defrag if it was running on a SSD methinks...I analyzed mine a while back without actually defragging and it said it was 95% fragmented!!

You should be able to use a third party defragger like Auslogics if W7 holds out for some reason.
    Last edited by Infinicore; 2011-12-22 at 19:42. Reason: added link

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    Check in "services.msc" to ensure that it is enabled and set to active.
    Then run the defrag [dfrgui] utility and set it's schedule as desired.
    Thanks, but I have no problem manually defragging the drive. And I have no problem scheduling defrags for the 3 other HDs in the PC. But since Windows still thinks this one is an SSD, the defrag scheduler does not include the drive in the list of ones that can be scheduled.

As I said, I am looking for how to tell Windows the drive that C is on is no longer an SSD but rather an HD. I'm not looking for how to defrag the drive. Once Windows realizes it is an HD and not an SSD, the problem with the scheduler should disappear.

I apologize if I didn't explain it well enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Infinicore View Post
    ....and you are definitely going to want to defrag if it was running on a SSD methinks...I analyzed mine a while back without actually defragging and it said it was 95% fragmented!!

You should be able to use a third party defragger like Auslogics if W7 holds out for some reason.
    Yes, it definitely needed defragging. And I did that with the Windows defragger.

All I really need is what to change in the registry (or other means) to ensure Windows treats this drive like the HD it is. The defrag scheduling is the only symptom I see and is a problem but I would not be surprised if Windows is treating the drive differently than an HD in other ways and would prefer to eliminate other problems as well. For instance, it wouldn't surprise me to find that Windows is still sending TRIM commands to this HD since it thinks its an SSD. And I'm not looking for assurance that it can't be sending TRIM commands or that if it is it would have no effect, etc.. I'm just pointing out that there can be unintended consequences anytime Windows (or parts of it) are wrong about the type of hardware its dealing with. I would like to remove that confusion on Windows part.

Thanks
    You have restored an image on a system where the hardware has changed?

Scan for new hardware in devmgmt under the drive in question...

Untitled.jpg
    You might also need to set the drive back to IDE mode from AHCI mode in BIOS, if not already done and also run a "sfc /scannow".
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2011-12-25 at 08:08.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

Hoosier Daddy (2011-12-25)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    CLiNT,

Yes, I restored an image of the Windows (C drive onto a different drive (HD instead of SSD).

That was a great idea to scan for hardware changes in Device Manager.

Unfortunately it didn't fix the problem.

BUT.... on the Computer Properties page I used to get to Device manager, I was reminded that my Windows Experience needed to be updated because of the hardware change. I had noticed that after the restore but could care less my Windows Experience Index so had never refreshed it.

But, your suggestion about doing a Device Manager scan made me think its worth a shot to see if the Windows Experience test would have an effect.

IT DID! After refreshing the Windows Experience, the HD appears in the defrag schedule volume list! So I checked it. Amazing.

Interestingly, I still almost didn't get the benefit because it turns out the schedule is apparently by user, not system wide.

I had to log on to an admin user to use Device Manager and did the rest under that seldom used account. When I logged back onto my normal account, the drive was no loner checked in the defrag schedule. I re-checked the box and confirmed that it stayed checked. But its lucky I bothered to even check in my regular account.

So thanks a LOT for pushing me in the right direction even if your exact suggestion didn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    You have restored an image on a system where the hardware has changed?

Scan for new hardware in devmgmt under the drive in question...

Untitled.jpg
    You might also need to set the drive back to IDE mode from AHCI mode in BIOS, if not already done and also run a "sfc /scannow".

Thanks
    Thanks for the feedback. I would have never figured on the WEI having any effect.
    Glad you fixed it.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ah, you got to it a day or so ahead of me, just thought of it because I was telling someone else to try enabling ESCD config in BIOS and WEI came to mind cuz it says the screen may blank a couple times during the testing of the graphics...its reconfiguring, duh! Of course its going to realize there's no SSD any longer and knock the score down and adjust the parameters for the drive accordingly (well, at least if it has any good programming it will do the latter because how would W7 know to go the other way and disable defrag for the drive if the OS was cloned to a SSD and swapped?).
    Last edited by Infinicore; 2011-12-25 at 20:35.