Thanks

Windows 7 Phone Email

I have a new HTC Trophy Windows phone. I have only had it a week, but so far its been great. I do however have a problem with the way it treats e-mail. Here is what is going on:
    My e-mail provider (Sisna) is using gmail, so instead of pop.sisna.com, it reads pop.gmail.com. Same for SMTP.
    Now that is Ok on my laptop and Ive never had a problem. Even when I had my Blackberry there weren't any problems. The problem now however is the the Windows phone Deletes the e-mails off of the phone after they are read. WTH? Here is what I have tried so far:

PC
    1: Opened the Web Mail and set it to leave the e-mail on the server after being delivered. No Change!
    2: Changed Outlook e-mail from POP3 to IMAP. No Change!

Phone
    1: Added another e-mail account using all gmail setting (usernam@gmail.com) and POP,SMTP. Mail is now still on phone after it is read!

While that would appear to be a viable solution, the phone doesn't provide me a way to change domain names if I want to reply. So the mail would show user@gmail.com, instead of user@sisna.com. On my Blackberry I could do that, but then this is so totally not Blackberry, and I understand that.

I have posted to the Windows Phone Forum, but haven't heard back, and I thought I would ask in here as well.

Thanks in Advance, and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all
    John
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Thanks
    Problem solved
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,220 Posts
    Care to explain why, please? Can be useful to someone else...

Thanks
    Sure!
    As I stated, my e-mail provider switched his servers so that now while I still have the same e-mail address as I have always had everything comes through Google. My POP3 and SMTP in Outlook read .google.com. With the Windows 7 Phone, your choices are: Windows Live, Outlook (Exchange and Office 365), Yahoo, Google, Facebook. Twitter, and LinkedIn. Clear at the bottom is "Other Account" (Pop and (IMAP). In there you enter your email address and password only. It goes and tries to find it. When mine failed I clicked on the next one down "Advanced Set Up". This one allows you to enter your incoming and Outgoing settings. That is what I did, and it worked fine, except that after I had read the mail, and the account refreshed all of the read mail was gone off of the phone.
    So...I went back and opened "Google". I entered my e-mail address as it currently exists @2345.com and my password. voila! I then sent several test e-mails both to and from, refreshed several times, and all is well. The server reads m.google.com.

Other than that hickup, this is one hell of a phone.
    Seriously if anyone is looking at getting a new smartphone. I would highly recommend the Windows phone with no doubts.

Well that's my story and I'm sticking to it!..Merry Christmas All.

John
    Thanks John

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,220 Posts
    Thanks .

Thanks
    After really tweaking and digging into the e-mail on my Win 7 Phone, I feel that I now have it the way I want it. So here is an update on the way this should be set up if you are using Outlook as your email Client. No Server! To no ones surprise, The Outlook Connector is MANDATORY if you want to use Outlook.
    I tried Windows Live Mail, (See original post) but coming over from Outlook was severly dissapointed. The main reason for my dissapointment was that I was not able to set up rules if I was using IMAP instead of POP3. So, back to Outlook I went. The first thing I did, was to back up my Outlook! next I dumped all of my POP3 e-mail accounts, and re did them all (except my .msn) to IMAP. Voila! I am now able to create rules again. Next, I opened my primary e-mail folder and put in the subfolders that I wanted, then onto the second e-mail where I did the same. I decided to stop here and manually Sync my phone. When I did, I saw that all of the subfolders were now on my phone as well! (insert smiley face here ) This really shouldn't have been a surprise, because the subfolders that I have on my .msn account were on the phone, but it was. Next I started setting up my rules, and getting my e-mails into their respective folders. Now that that was done, I went back to the Win 7 Phone, and set up a couple of other sub folders, did a manual Sync, and Voila the folders I set up on the phone, were now also in Outlook. Next I went back into Outlook and marked a couple of message as "Un Read". When I did another manual Sync, those messages that I had changed to Un Read, were now not only in the correct subfolder, but the subfolder also had a numerical value (folder (2)) after it showing that I had 2 un read messages in that folder.

Ok here is a caveat! I did read somewhere that the Win 7 Phone will ONLY sync the first e-mail (POP3 and or IMAP) account. I haven't played with my second account long enough to be able to confirm or deny that.

I just for the life of me couldn't believe Microsoft would leave those of us using Outlook out in the cold if we were not on an exchange server. Well, as it turns out they didn't. They just didn't make it very easy to set up. What also gets me is that after asking a ton of questions in the Win 7 Phone forums, reading and re reading the manual, working with Verizon, No One could figure this out, and there was absolutely no documentation to set this up!
    I will reiterate, that the Outlook Connector is mandatory, and now that I finally have the e-mail figured out, this phone ROCKS! and I will put it up against an iPhone or Android phone any day!
    As for things I don't like, that is pretty easy, 1: No Adobe Flash, No Silverlight, and No Skype. As for apps, all of the apps that I wanted that I had on my BB are there, including my bank, and Poynt!. Oh yea and the Facebook App really sucks, but using the mobile Facebook works great.
    Access to my SKyDrive is a breeze, either through the Office Hub, or through the SkyDrive App, which I prefer.
    Well, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!
    Thanks John