Thread: Identy Theft

New Lounger
    Thanks

Identy Theft

I have started receiving a massive number of delivery failure reports from Yahoo, Hotmail, etc. These are for scam messages sent by someone using my name and e-mail address. Is there any advice on how to stop this without closing my account?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Change all your passwords (Hotmail etc.) asap, before you do anything else that might be suggested by others here.

Dick

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

Number (2011-12-23)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, ruirib. The old thread told me all I needed to know. As I was afraid, there seems to be no practical way to stop the use of my ID for somebody's spam mail.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Number View Post
    Thanks, ruirib. The old thread told me all I needed to know. As I was afraid, there seems to be no practical way to stop the use of my ID for somebody's spam mail.
    You're welcome. They can't really use your email address for valid email messages, since you control the mail box and no one has access to it, but anyone can send messages purporting to be from you. This is a problem with how the email system works and there have been several proposals to change it to avoid situations such as these, but they never went very far.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. I have had several of my email addresses used similarly and it stops, eventually.