Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    2 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Vail, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    194
    Thanks
    36
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Cursor moves to control with out command or mouse or keyboard input

    I have a database in Access 2003 that has worked for years. Recently it has developed a problem. In the middle of entering data in a subform the cursor will jump to another control normally the first one in the line. I have tried making sure that the after update condition of each control direct the cursor to the next control but that has not worked.

    I am running Access in Windows XP and that is running under Parallels on a Mac but that has also been the case for years. I have not upgraded my Mac OS to Lion still using Snow Leopard again everything was working previously.

    Anyone got any ideas.

    Thanks Peter

  2. #2
    Gold Lounger
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Crystal Beach, FL, Florida, USA
    Posts
    3,436
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 34 Times in 34 Posts
    I'd first check the TabIndex of each control, to make sure they are in the order you want. There are also some actions that might cause the subform to be refreshed, which would cause the cursor to return to the first control. Is there any code in the subform's AfterUpdate event? Maybe the Update is being triggered prematurely?
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.

  3. #3
    2 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Vail, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    194
    Thanks
    36
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks Marl for those suggestions. The sub form has events for Before Insert After Insert On Open and Got Focus. Insert deals with buttons visible or not. On Open resizes and positions the window. Focus instruct to go to the last record. No on update instructions. Tab index seems OK.

    Even more confusing is that when I run on my laptop I do not have the problem. Have just tried updating to Lion so see if there was some sort of glitch that had developed in Snow Leopard but problem remains.

    Since my fist post I removed a number of fields from the sub form that were auto numbering as they are not needed but no difference.

    I have attached the code in the sub form just in case.

    thanks again

    Peter
    Attached Files Attached Files

  4. #4
    Gold Lounger
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Crystal Beach, FL, Florida, USA
    Posts
    3,436
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 34 Times in 34 Posts
    I can't really tell anything from the code like that. It is like reading something out-of-context, you really can't associate it with the situation.

    That it behaves differently on different computers is odd. Do both have same version of Access?
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.

  5. #5
    2 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Vail, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    194
    Thanks
    36
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Access 2003 on both machines and as I said in my original post it did work on my iMac before.

    Happy to post all the code if you have time to look at it. As I have built it over number of years some is redundant and I have not cleaned it up also not well documented.

    Thanks very much

    Peter

  6. #6
    2 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Midwest, USA
    Posts
    108
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Uncheck the "snap to" in your mouse settings in control panel. I believe this will solve your problem. It will also explain why the problem exists only on one computer.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •