Lounger
    Thanks

Windows backup doesn't see space on my backup drive

I have a 280 gig internal drive, used for paging photoshop images, and have also designated it as my Windows Backup volume. As I already have an external hard drive backing up my documents on a nightly basis, i have set Windows Backup to only back up the *latest* system image. These take about 14 gig of the total. But Windows regularly tells me that i do not have adequate space for my system image. Any ideas? screen shot attached.
    Attached Images Attached Images

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Bruce,
    Try emptying your Recycle Bin - the old backups may be hiding in there.

Zig

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Check the file system of the drive, if it happens to be FAT32 instead of NTFS that limits the filesize to 4 gigs or less and returns such a no room error even though there appears to be plenty.

Lounger
    Thanks
    interesting thought. i've wiped out a *lot* of recycle items, should be more than enough... will post when i rerun backup.
    interesting side question: if i have multiple physical drives and/or partitions, is the recycle bin a 'logical' construct (i.e., i delete a file from the D drive; it is tagged as "recycled" but remains in place on D:\), or is it a "physical" construct, where items deleted from the D:\ or E:\ are stored in a C:\ directory named "recycle bin"??

Lounger
    Thanks
    good idea. it was NTFS. but thanks for suggesting...

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Darn! I really thought that was going to be it since I've gotten the exact same error message. That is an awfully lot of free space to be occupied by "hidden" files. The recycle bin should only take up like 18% at most right? Deleted files are just tagged but when they reach the limit the space reserved for the oldest ones should be available again as newer deleted files push them out of the bin, but I'm sure you've already checked the reserve to see if anything weird is up.

The only other thing that ever happened to me that was strange and caused such a problem is the file pathname came to be the drive it was going to and then had \System Volume Information somehow appended to the end and Windows would not let such a system file be used for ordinary data so it said there was no room. That was pretty easy to figure out though once I saw the full file pathname.

Lounger
    Thanks
    we agree, recycle bin space is limited... but with multiple drives (one of which is 1.5Tb), i had to be certain that the 18% of my total 2 gig is 18% on EACH drive/partition. there is also a lot of stuff on this issue on MSFT's website, mostly frustrated people who have tried all sorts of stuff to no avail.
    thanks once again...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You might try another backup program. I like EaseUS Todo backup (currently v.3.5, but 4.0 in just a few days) but since you're only doing full backups, Macrium Free would also work.

Zig

Lounger
    Thanks
    thx 10**6.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    you can also if you want right click on recycle bin /properties and set external drives to permanently delete files so as not to put in recycle bin. But this means you have to be extra careful when deleting stuff as can not recover easily with third part software.

Another thought you could also check that 'volume shadow copy' is enabled in 'services'.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I have enough drive space that i don't need the extra percentage that i'd gain with permanent delete. pls give me a hint on the second comment re volume shadow copy... the things i found on this didnt penetrate my brain.
    thx again..