New Lounger
    Thanks

Large WiFi network questions

I am about to install a new WiFi network in a very large 10,500 square foot house. Luckily, there is Ethernet wiring all over the house, coming back to an Arris router (Spectrum) and 24-port switch in the basement. My plan is to use 4 Asus Gigabit WiFi Dual-Band units, configured as Access Points to cover the entire home. I have done this previously before, in other homes, and they work flawlessly. My only question is with the 2.4Ghz band. The last time I did this, I only needed 3 Access Points to cover the home, so I put the AP's on Channels 1, 6 and 11. But now that I need 4 of them, I'm planning to put them on Channels 1, 4 ,7 and 11. Any thoughts on this from forum members who have attempted similar things, or have some experience with this? Obviously my question has to do with the fact that there will be some interference between those channels, and they'll all be on the same SSID.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,095 Times in 1,018 Posts
    Can the units choose their own channel based on the local environment? Other than that I would use one of the wifi scanners to see what is available.
    Basically, some overlap is fine.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks! They can use "Auto" channel selection, but when I did a network scan, I found no neighboring networks intruding in most of the home. This is undoubtedly due to it's size, the large lot it sits on, and the complete real stone exterior. Thanks for the input.

Thanks
    One thing you need to be aware of with auto channel selection: If you have a wireless repeater, and your router changes channels, the repeater might lose the connection. This happened with me when I installed a Hawking wireless repeater. Hawking tech support advised me to set the router so that it stays on the same channel all the time; when I did that, the Hawking quit dropping the connection.

Here's an idea: If you can have two of your access points far enough away from each other, it may be that there will be enough distance between them to allow you to use the same channel for both of them without them interfering with each other. If you can accomplish this, you could use channels 1, 6, and 11, resulting in none of the access points interfering with each other.