Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    The fact that you don't get an IP assigned is weird, even without the AP, which leads me to thing the issue may be with the router. Just for testing, what if you set an IP lease to expire in a rather short interval (say 5 mins) and you roam near the end of the interval?
    BTW, the router was a replacement for a unit that was dropping connections. It's brand new and the chances of my having received two lemons from TP-Link in a row are pretty remote (I think!).

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by melvynm View Post
    Firstly, the two devices are connected via a cable so I was under the impression that "Bridge Mode" is inappropriate.
    Doesn't matter how the devices are connected.

Bridging a box simply turns it into a passive device where all traffic is passed on to a connected router which will be responsible for DHCP etc.

The fact that you can't get a valid IP address when roaming (upstairs!) suggests that both boxes are using DHCP where only one should do in the same network.

Another option I noticed was to use the AP as a repeater. Have you tried that?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Browni View Post
    The fact that you can't get a valid IP address when roaming (upstairs!) suggests that both boxes are using DHCP where only one should do in the same network.
    This isn't entirely accurate. If I move between the devices in either direction I don't get an IP. Also, DHCP is definitely disabled on the AP.Regardless, I'll try "Bridge with AP" mode.
    Quote Originally Posted by Browni View Post
    Another option I noticed was to use the AP as a repeater. Have you tried that?
    I thought that Repeater mode also requires that the devices communicate wirelessly. Am I wrong? What about Client mode?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you solved the issue? How?

Thanks.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    No solution. I gave up. Returned the AP and bought two of these for the back of my router:
    http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-ANT.../dp/B004UBUE2O
    Coverage isn't perfect but it's better than before.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have got some support from TP-LINK but no fix yet.

I currently improved the situation as follows:

Floor-3: W8961ND; connected to Internet, Access Point DISABLED (no Wifi in Floor3), connected to Powerline PA251.

Floor-2: WA701 Access Point connected to Powerline PA251. SSID:2

Floor-1: PA281 SSID:1

All have different SSID's with AES security. Passwords are same. TPLINK Support person said the SSID's all must be same. I will try.

Channels all different and I tried to arrange the channels so that they don't interfere with each other and less interfered with the the neighbours. I used Wifi Analyser on my phone to see the possible neighboring devices.

I can roam between Floor-1 and Floor-2 now. Very good.

But:

If I open the Access Point of W8961ND, and if I was previously connected to Floor-1 or Floor-2; I can NOT connect to W8961. It takes forever ! W8961 has SSID:3 and same password.

I assume the problem is with W8961ND Firmware ! It needs an update or something ! Or something else I still could not figure out.

I have not tried with the same SSID. I will give a try. I had tried previous but failed, but I will make sure a double check again.

You can also set roaming aggressiveness in notebook for better and faster roaming. However there is no option in iPAD for that.

So, except the floor-3 (which W8961 there), I have very good roaming now. Trying to solve the issue of W8961 now. Otherwise I have some signal from floor-3 anyway and I have ethernet connection already.

By the way, connecting these all Access Points over Powerline is great ! In long term, we will see if they survive.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Firstly I'm new so sorry if I have inadvertently failed to follow any forum protocols but I don't think I'm hijacking a thread or anything like that.
    I've just found this thread in September 2013 and would like to know if ferdhat found an answer because I seem to be in the same situation as him/her and melvynm.
    I live in the UK and at one end of my house have Virgin Cable Broadband, an old NTL (Now Virgin) modem feeding a Virgin supplied D-Link DIR615 router, from this one output port is connected to a desktop PC and another output port goes to a switch elsewhere in the house via CAT5E cable, there are feeds from this to various rooms including one to a bedroom where there is a second switch of which one port goes to a Smart TV and another to a TP-Link WA801ND Wireless Access Point. I don't think the switches are significant because I've also connected from the Router to the Access Point directly with the same problem. Just as melvynm found, a strong signal in the bedroom and internet for a while then no Internet, but still a strong signal, in a rather unpredictable manner - at times it would disable the internet to the desktop too, requiring a router reset. At present (and I pray it will last) it is working by using different SSIDs for the router and the wireless access point, which makes no sense to me and all the details I've read say that this shouldn't be needed and causes, obviously, a need to change network on mobile phones and the like at different ends of the house. I'd welcome feedback.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12