2 Star Lounger
    North Carolina USA in winter, Maine in summer
    Thanks

Reinstallation of OS

I have a Dell Studio XPS 8100 w/ Intel core i5 3.2GHz processor, 8GB memory, 1TB Seagate HD and (2) Toshiba DVD RW optical drives, am running Window 7 Service Pack 1 and have Office Ultimate 2007 installed. It is fully patched and up to date and my Secunia PSI score is 100%. I purchased this machine a little less than 2 years ago, have had several Dell machines over the years and have had generally good luck with them. Unfortunately this machine does not fall in the category, I have had problems with it from the get-go. Fortunately, part of the purchase package was 2-year on-site service. At this point, everything in the tower, with the exception of the optical drives and wiring harness, has been replaced at least once, some components (including motherboard) several times. Dell still refuses to replace the computer but would have been money ahead if they had done so a year ago.

Anyway, the problem-de-jour/annoyance is that the computer locks up momentarily, the screen goes blank for a few seconds and then comes back on with a popup stating "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered". This has been happening randomly for quite some time and occasionally the computer would competely lock up requiring a "one finger reboot". Last week Dell replaced the video board, an ATI Radeon HD 5450 and (yet again!) the motherboard. [Would you believe the display drive just now stopped responding but at least the computer did not lock up.] After more sessions and time spent with Dell "cookie cutter" technicians in Panama/India/Phillipines than you would probably believe, the latest thing they say is that the OS must be corrupted and they want to reinstall. This (finally!) brings me to the reason for this post. I have a boatload of applications on this machine and it would be painful in the extreme to have to reinstall them. I can do a backup with Acronis True Image 2012 before the OS reinstallation but, if I do a recovery from that backup, won't I end up with the same "corrupted" OS that I had in the first place??? Is there any way to check and/or repair the OS? Any guidance that anyone out there could give would be much appreciated!
    Last edited by ExiledMainer; 2011-12-29 at 18:08.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Mainer,
    You're in the wrong forum; the Windows Secrets Windows 7 forum will point you to:
    http://windowssecrets.com/top-story/...ive-reinstall/
    However, you DON'T have to uninstall SP1, just download the appropriate .iso file and burn it to a disc, then use that disc (and your original serial number) to reinstall:
    http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...-Pro-from-Home

Zig

Thanks
    If you can get in to safe mode.Then follow the instrctions here;http://www.thewindowsplanet.com/532/...-windows-7.htm
    Also here is an driver update for your video card;http://www.amd.com/us/products/deskt...-overview.aspx
    A back up @ this point would be senseless.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ExiledMainer View Post
    Any guidance that anyone out there could give would be much appreciated!
    "ExM"

Hello... OS "Freeze Up's" could be caused by several things ...Drivers among them... I have had Issues with windows "7" in the past with the same problem ... I have "Nvidia" drivers and an internal (ASUS) graphics card ... What i had to do to stop this problem was to revert to the oldest Nvidia driver ( 191.07 )and "Tweak" the 3d settings in the Nvidia control panel ....If you are using this post back and i will show you which settings had to be changed... Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Seems as though the NVIDIA graphics cards are having more problems with Win 7 than others. Not sure why. Fred has offered what might be the best solution, roll back to older drivers that seem to work better.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2 Star Lounger
    North Carolina USA in winter, Maine in summer
    Thanks
    Zig et al-

Thanks for the posts. I tried the Fred Langa approach and the routine came to a screeching halt with the following message:
    "The following issues are preventing Windows from upgrading. Cancel the upgrade, complete each task, and then restart the upgrade to continue."
    "Your current version of Windows is more recent than the version you are trying to upgrade to. Windows cannot complete the upgrade."

I did not try using the .iso disk I burned because another factor has surfaced. I was (finally!) able to get in touch with AMD and they admitted to being aware of the issue of the Radeon HD 5450 driver not responding and then recovering. They also said that lockups had been reported. They guided me through the process of installing an appropriate driver for my machine, Version 8.920.0.0, dated 11/9/2011. Coincidentally (maybe!) that is about the time frame that my problem cropped up. So, right now I am "on hold" as far as doing anything with the OS is concerned. Since the problem was happening fairly frequently, usually daily and sometimes several times a day, I should know fairly quickly if the problem has been solved. BTW, the Reliability Monitor in Windows 7 is a good tool.

Once again, thanks to all for the help!