Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

IE 9 not secure?

I am running windows 7 with ie 9 secunia psi is telling me that ie 9 is not secure for browsing on its own not from another program any ideas? Thanks.
    Phil.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    If you have all security patches installed, I wouldn't care too much about that. I use IE 9 as my default browser. It's much more what you do than what you do it with that matters and IE 9 is secure enough.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Ie 9

Dear sir thank you very much for your info.
    Phil.

Thanks
    Cowboyphil, it's been my experience that Secunia can be a useful tool, but its advice about security is usually worth even less than you paid for it

Thanks
    Who pays for it, PSI 2 is free and I have found it a good tool. by the way the latest version of IE 9 is 9.0.8112.16421

Thanks
    I.E. ? Ya gotta be kidding!

That thing hasn't been completely safe since MS first released it in 19??
    Most of the fixes that have come out of MS over the past 16 years have been to fix problems in I.E.
    Doesn't that tell you something?

That's just one reason why Millions of users worldwide have adopted Mozilla Firefox as their default browser.
    Many FF users are old Netscape users, that became Netscape users years ago, because of problems with I.E.

I remember the day of the first full release of Firefox. Over one million people downloaded it in a 24 hour period.

Happy New Year!

The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    I usually whole heartedly agree with DrWho, but I this case not so much. I also find IE 9 very secure when used in a multi-layered approach to security. If I were using Chrome regularly, or FF at all I would use the identical multi-layered approacch. I am of the mind that no single security app is 100% effective on it's own, but a multi-layered approach is as close as I can get, that and watching what I do myself while using my PC.

I believe that all modern browsers have pluses and minuses, and that all are very equivalent when security is discussed.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    The technology landscape is always changing and thinking things do not change will simply keep one frozen in time and oblivious to real change. In some areas, IE 9 is the most secure browser in the market, today.

Also, not that it matters to me, but history will tell you people didn't trade Netscape for IE. Netscape was probably the first massive popular browser (considering what the internet was back then) and it was dislodged from that position by IE. I was a Netscape user, on the Unix platforms I worked on back then, and I deeply regreted when Netscape went the way of the dodo.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you to everyone for the input.
    Phil.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I agree with Ted. Every browser has holes, you just have to decide on which security holes you are willing to live with. As an example of where IE comes out ahead of Firefox and Chrome, security wise, consider this recent man-in-the-middle attack disclosure: http://us.generation-nt.com/tls-ssl-...s-3140981.html. The solution is to disable TLS 1.0 and use 1.1 and/or 1.2 instead. That solution works great in IE, but neither Chrome nor Firefox support anything higher that TLS 1.0 out of the box. Of course, if you are never on an open network, and if you completely trust your coworkers and your family or roomates sharing your home network, then this security hole won't be that much of an issue to you.

(Supposedly, Chrome supplied another fix to close this hole, without supporting TLS 1.1, see comments at: http://www.google.cf/support/forum/p/Chrome/thread?tid=0539619c98f85cbb&hl=en)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Ie 9

Cafed00d thank you very much for that info.
    Phil

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Is IE9 any good? Honestly, I don't like IE. I only use it to download a better browser.

Thanks
    Many of us use IE 9 as our default browser and love it. I got rid of FF a long time ago and haven't looked back. I use Chrome as a backup, but rarely even open it, except to get the updates.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    I prefer IE to anything else, too. Chrome is the 2nd browser and FF a distant 3rd.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I use Avant for its hidden magical abilities so in a way I'm using IE as well (uses the IE engine). Chrome won me over for day to day though with the customized background image and skins and instant spell check and seemingly no performance hits that I can tell.
    I hear that if ya wait long enough IE will have spell check too!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast