Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hard disk problem - event ID 55 ?????

Win 7 Home Premium on a Lenovo IdeaCenter K330B. I have every once a week or so (after waking from sleep) get this event in Event Viewer: "the file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume \device\harddisk\volumeshadowcopy16"

Last time it happened it showed volumeshadowcopy16 and 17 and 18. Source in the message is Ntfs. I have 2 hard drives, C and E. Most everything is on C drive. E is just some backup files and I don't take system restore points on it. I've run chkdsk numerous times on both drives. Nothing shows up as being a problem.

Happened yesterday and in the course of 7 seconds, I got 15 of these events, 5 for volumeshadowcopy16, 5 for 17 and 5 for 18.

Is this something I should be concerned about??? I've searched the internet and found nothing that looks like it would help. And I don't understand the tail end of the message about "volumeshadowcopy nn".
    Ed

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Y View Post
    Is this something I should be concerned about??? I've searched the internet and found nothing that looks like it would help. And I don't understand the tail end of the message about "volumeshadowcopy nn".
    Ed,
    Hello..."Volumeshadowcopy" is used for\with making "Images" Do you have task's to make "Images" ,either 3rd party program or Windows scheduled? Also when you ran chkdsk did you use any of the "swiches" that go along with it? If so which ones? Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Change your power plan to,Balanced.Hard drive power setting to;Always on.Turn sleep mode,OFF.You can read more here M$;http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935799
    For some reason sleep mode wreacks havco on some systems.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Fred,

As far as I know I have nothing creating images automatically. I do use Windows "Backup and Restore" but do it in a manual mode every weekend. I also use Macrium Reflect (free version) in a manual mode. When I run chkdsk I always use /f and /r.

chowur,

I am using the balanced plan but have the hard drive set to shut down after 25 minutes of idle and also start sleep at 30 minutes. Hate to think I have to lose the power saving features when the PC is not in use just to eliminate the problem.
    Ed

Thanks
    Try running the checkdisk with the "R" switch instead; chkdsk /r
    Do so if running "chkntfs C:" or "chkntfs E:" shows a dirty volume.
    Checkdisk should probably be run from a boot disk while the os is not in use or from the recovery console, but not while the os is running, for best results.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Clint,

A chkntfs on either C: or E: shows NO dirty bits. Are you saying I should run chkdsk /r instead of chkdsk /f /r ???? Not sure that makes any sense to me. chkdsk should be able to be run with more than one switch.
    Ed

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Win 7 Home Premium on a Lenovo IdeaCenter K330B. I have every once a week or so (after waking from sleep) get this event in Event Viewer: "the file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable.
    Ed,
    Hello... If the file system is corrupt ... Open "Command Prompt" and run as an "Administrator"... then input ... sfc/scannow (system file checker) this can replace corrupt files... Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Ed, chkdsk /r implies /f so you don't need /r /f although it doesn't hurt.

Jerry

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, I understand about the combined /r /f parameters with chkdsk.

Sfc shows no problems at all.
    Ed

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, I understand about the combined /r /f parameters with chkdsk.

Sfc shows no problems at all.
    Ed,
    Hello... What version of Macrium Reflect do you use? Also when doing a backup with Macrium you will encounter a screen that will ask if you want to save this task...or something like that ...You have to "un-check" that box ...could be that Macrium is trying to do a backup.. Just a Thought.. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain Fred View Post
    Ed,
    Hello... What version of Macrium Reflect do you use? Also when doing a backup with Macrium you will encounter a screen that will ask if you want to save this task...or something like that ...You have to "un-check" that box ...could be that Macrium is trying to do a backup.. Just a Thought.. Regards Fred
    Macrium Free 64 bit is Version 5.0 build 4033. I do have a couple of saved backup definitions but the Macrium scheduler shows nothing at all scheduled. Are you saying that Macrium might be trying to start one on it's own????
    Ed

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Macrium Free 64 bit is Version 5.0 build 4033. I do have a couple of saved backup definitions but the Macrium scheduler shows nothing at all scheduled. Are you saying that Macrium might be trying to start one on it's own????
    Hi Ed,
    Just trying to "cover the bases"...Reason being is that i don't understand about the "Volumeshadowcopy service"...It has to be a clue.. as it deals with "Imaging".. I'll keep "thinkin on it" Regards Fred...
    PS: just for fun ...try updating to the Macrium V5 4196...see if it's the same
    PlainFred

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I decided to just "bite the bullet" and deleted all the volume shadow copies but the latest. This got rid of the copies 16,17,18 (see my 1st post). Also got rid of all but the latest system restore points but that's OK. Now I'm gonna wait and see what happens over the next couple of days.

If I still have a problem, I'll update Macrium.
    Ed

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

If I still have a problem, I'll update Macrium.
    Ed,
    Hello... one more thing ..Make sure that you "create" the "Macrium Recovery Disk" and that it will boot into the program ...Reason being is that when Version 5 came out i could no longer make and use the simple Linux recovery disk (Wouldn't boot) and had to do the WAIK windows PE recovery disk

PS: You can also try to disabling "System Restore" (most who use imaging programs switch it off) or just limiting the size that the restore points can use. Regards Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2011-12-30 at 05:24.
    PlainFred

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Fred. Yeah, I did boot from the "Macrium Recovery Disk" and it worked just fine for me.
    Ed