New Lounger
    Thanks

Excel 2010 - AutoSum - shuts Excel down

Hi folks.

Win 7 Pro - Intel CoreII - 3gB RAM - plenty of HDD room. We have a simple spreadsheet which we ported over from Excel 2003 in an upgrade attempt. This SS uses no macros and is located on the local drive. There is but one tab. We had to save it as an XLSX to avert Compatibility Mode which was moderately difficult seeing that M$ decided to hide the file extensions in the Save As dialog. It uses range names but mostly on single cells. When we try to AutoSum a column or row, Excel closes unexpectedly with no error notice and immediately reopens with the AutoSave appearing on the left. Opening that and re-attempting AutoSum yields the same result. If we autosum outside of the data frame imported, autosum works fine. It's only when we try to autosum

Is this a Trust Center issue? Or is there something else to look for? Do we repair Excel? How do I expose "All Files" (*.*) inside the Excel GUI?

Thanks for your time.

H

Instant Update: (About an hour later)... I'm noticing the operator is using this form:
    ={Press AutoSum}B4*B5 and not =(b4)*(b5). I showed him the later method which appears to work. He states his AutoSum technique worked fine for years and years in Excel 2003. What do you folks think? AutoSum is indeed the Wrong Function for multiplication???

H
    Last edited by whftherb; 2011-12-27 at 13:17.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!