Lounger
    Thanks

Unable to Access C Drive

I have a couple of problems. First, my c drive appears to be full (yesterday there were 8 gb of space left, today nothing). But when I try and access the drive, I get the "denied access" message. I'm using Win2k Professional, I am logged in as administrator.

In the process of trying to network my laptop (running winME) I think (but am not sure how I would have stupidly done this) in trying to share the C drive of the desktop, actually denied myself, as admin, access. The laptop can see everything on the desktop except the C drive, and the Desktop has access to the laptop.

When I restart the desktop I get a message that there is an error in my paging file, and to go to mycomputer/properties/advanced/performance options to change the paging file size. Because the hard disk appears to be full, I am unable to change the size.

Because I cannot seem to access the hard drive to figure out what the heck is making it seem full, I can't make space to change the paging file.

I have tried altering the permissions, but nothing substantive happens (ie I still can't access the hard drive). I have tried reinstalling windows, but I can't access the hard drive to do that.

Also, I cannot seem to use most of the programs on my C drive, but for some reason, I can access IE, the internet and network neighborhood.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Unable to Access C Drive

Hi
    First off : is there any way your system can still run DOS, outside a Windows box? You need to delete the file called 'Pagefile.sys' : aka the Windows Swap File. This will re-build on next boot, hopefully allowing you access to C:
    (btw this is one reason that, even though I highly recommend Win 2kP, I still have 98SE as a duality, exactly so that during boot-up I can stop at a DOS prompt, should the need arise.)

Second : if all this has no effect (or if you can't do it) : set your BIOS to boot from CD and insert your Windows CD, reboot, and choose to install 'over the top' i.e. in the same place as your present Windows.

Come back if neither suggestion helps.

Lounger
    Thanks

Well, I'm making progress. Was able to access my hard drive, so that bugaboo is out of the way.

However, I was unable to find (using search) Pagefile.sys. Went to install win2k on top of current system, but now I can't get rid of the Windows Installation start up . That didn't seem to fix the problem with the pagefile either. Also when I try to manaually change the size of the of the pagefile using mycomputer/properties/advanced/performance for some reason it won't "take".

Thanks

Check <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=2000&Number=50166&page=&vie w=&sb=&o=&vc=1>Post 50166</A> for some tips on sorting out pagefile problems.

Lounger
    Thanks

MerC and Leif,

Thank you both for your input. It all helped. I was able to finally access my C drive (forgot to give admin permission, that was my first mistake, but easily fixable).

MerC, thanks for showing me how to get rid of that pesky pagefile.sys from the root directory.

The article that Leif posted showed that it was the "everyone" user that needed to be present and have full access to finally make the change stick.

Of course, this begs the question, if "everyone" needs full access for this type of fix, how do you provide system security? Or once the change is made, then do you go back and restrict "everyone's" access?

One final glitch; in trying to install win2k over current system, something seems to have gone amiss and when I boot up I am required to choose between booting from the C drive or the CDRom (whether the Win2K disk is in there or not) within 3 seconds, and if I'm not fast enough in choosing the former, the system locks up and needs to be reset. In looking at my system summary, there doesn't seem to be a System Directory entry under the Windows Directory, which leads me to believe that is causing the problem. How do I add that?

Thanks again for your help.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

When booting up, during POST, press F2 and enter the BIOS set-up. Scroll through until you find the section dealing with the order things are looked at when booting up. Put the CD ROM well down the list - hard drive should be at the top, or it will look for other things (such as a floppy) first.

Rgds

Lounger
    Thanks

That didn't seem to fix it. Hard drive is in first boot position, removable in second boot position, and cdrom in third boot position. Error persists.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hi
    Try this : see if you have a file called boot.ini in the root of your C drive. Make a copy in case things go pear-shaped. Then open it for editing and see what options there are for booting. REM out any you don't need. It might be that you're stuck part-way through the installation, and it's still looking for the CD.

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks again for all your help. Actually, (after saving, just in case) deleting the entire boot.ini file did the trick. With it gone, and the boot drives rearraged to have the hard drive in first position, a new boot.ini file was created on start up, using the C drive as the default.