New Lounger
    Thanks

What is Win 7 up to?

Running Win 7 Pro SP1 + all updates

Most of the time Win 7 works as it is supposed to but on occasion when I attempt to move/copy files - a straightforward request, I would expect - the system takes a long delay (with the little blue circle going & going & ...) of up to a minute to respond. I am not attempting to copy files in a heavily tasked environment; in most cases, copying the file is the only active job. Of course, background system goings-on are not being monitored but there was no drive activity immediately before launching the file copy/move. Never any error message but on occasion the source file directory window will grey-out. The action is ultimately successful but why is there this intermittent, interminable delay?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    You may try to open the resource monitor and take a look at the disk and memory tabs, to find out what is causing that. To start, just type resource in the search box on the windows start menu and pick the app that appears at the top of the list.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    How much ram memory is installed? What virus scanner are you using? Is win7 defragging in the background?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I wonder if differing sort priorities might have something to do with it, because Win7 likes to insert files in whatever the proper sort order is instead of appending like XP does until its refreshed. If you've ever sorted a folder with a long list of files W7 can take quite a bit of time maybe because its sorting deeper into the fields or something, and if it has to sort source and destination so it can collate files, there would be a delay (I use TeraCopy so I can see it preloading the list of files to be moved or copied before the copy process starts).

The other thing that I know will take some time before it starts to copy is if its a network drive.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Replies

Ram 4 GB, virus scanner is MS security essentials, no defrag, no network drive involved

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    How many hard drives do you have? I experience the same thing occasionally when one of my drives powers down because it hasn't been accessed in a while. So Explorer has to wait for the drive to spin up before it can continue.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The OP said up to a minute though, drives spin up and send a ready signal in 6 or less seconds typically. I have experienced long sort times with Windows 7 on several different systems compared to XP, which does it almost instantly.

Administrator
    Thanks
    I repeat my initial advice. Resource Monitor will tell you what app or apps are using your disk and you will have objective info rather than possible causes, even if point out those can be informative.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Last day, Ruirib. May all 366 coming be good to you.
    You wrote : Resource Monitor will tell you what app or apps are using your disk.

Fine, where can a person find some explanation to all this ? JP.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by handcuff36 View Post
    Last day, Ruirib. May all 366 coming be good to you.
    You wrote : Resource Monitor will tell you what app or apps are using your disk.

Fine, where can a person find some explanation to all this ? JP.
    Hi Jean

Thank you. I wish 2012 is very good for you too.

There are numerous places with info on Resource Monitor. Here are some:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...e-monitor.html
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/edge/Video/ff710685
    http://www.win7articles.com/windows-...e-monitor.html

Hope this helps a bit.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    A lot Ruirib. I have copied them to a .doc so I can refer to them readily. There is always something to learn even at my advanced age. ;-)
    I could have goggled for this subject but I always forget that source. JP.