Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Explorer crashes

I'm running Win 7 Home Premium 32-bit. Every once in a while Windows Explorer crashes. I get a message that it's trying to restart it. Most of the time this is successful, other times it hangs the PC and I have to do a hard restart. Most of the time the PC comes up okay, a couple times the PC was still hung. Any idea what could be causing the crash?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Is there any info on Event Viewer? Are you doing anything specific when Explorer crashes?

Once it crashes and doesn't recover, you may try pressing Ctr+Alt+Del and then choose to run Task Manager. You can restart Windows Explorer from Task Manager. File -> New Task (run) and just type explorer. Maybe this will avoid some reboots.

Lounger
    Thanks
    ruirib, When it crashes I'm in different folders. Last night I had just finished scanning a document using HP Solution Center, and asked to open the folder where the file was placed. WE came up, then crashed. Sometimes I select the icon in the tray to start WE, and shortly after that it crashes; sometimes I'll have two WE sessions going and it crashes (stops running, I believe is the message). I can't point to anything in common. It has never occurred to me to look in the Even Viewer, but will keep that in mind, as well as trying the Task Manager to restart WE.

Thank you

Administrator
    Thanks
    I wrote it before, Windows Explorer hasn't been the most stable windows app I have seen. I do get a random crash once in a while, but nothing too serious. See if Event Viewer sheds any light.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

jasander (2011-12-29)

Lounger
    Thanks
    ruirib, going through the Event Viewer it appears as though Network Magic caused the failure: C:\Program Files\Pure Networks\Network Magic\nmspce2.dll
    Faulting application name: Explorer.EXE, version: 6.1.7601.17567, time stamp: 0x4d6727a7
    Faulting module name: nmspce2.dll, version: 5.5.9195.0, time stamp: 0x4a5d0a51
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x00028062
    Faulting process id: 0x18c
    Faulting application start time: 0x01ccc4e404589faa
    Faulting application path: C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
    Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Pure Networks\Network Magic\nmspce2.dll
    Report Id: b5680d41-319d-11e1-a509-0018f3f1ef5b

I'll now pay more attention to the Viewer in the future.

Thanks for your help.

Administrator
    Thanks
    You're welcome. I am glad you found the cause for the crash and maybe can do something about it.