New Lounger
    Thanks

Installing both Office 2000 and 97 (Office 2000)

I have Office 97 installed, and would like to also install Office 2000. I have a 60 Gigabyte hard drive and would be willing to partition it, and also install an additional operating system. I now have ME but am considering, on Woody's evaluation, upgrading to XP. Does anyone know if this can be done? I would really like to keep my Office 97 as Office 2000 files can not be handled by Office 97. (As I understand it.)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Installing both Office 2000 and 97 (Office 2000)

It isn't hard to do. You have to select the custom installation, though, or it will replace Office 97. You will have to install Office 2000 to a whole different location, though, since the executables have the same name as those in Office 97. Office XP is more thoughtful--it automaticaly creates an Office10 folder and installs Office 2002 there. With the earlier versions, you have to tell it the name of the folder you want to install to.

Once you get it installed, your biggest problem will be remembering which version you last used, since that's the one Windows will launch if you double click on a file. The easiest way to handle that is to create shortcuts to each version in your Send To folder. Then just right click the file in the explorer window and send it to the correct version.
    Charlotte

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Oh, one thing I forgot. If you haven't upgraded your Office 97 to SR-2, do so before you install Office 2000, because you won't be able to do it afterwards.
    Charlotte

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Kathy:

Just to note that at this stage, you might want to consider XP, rather than Office 2000. I have, like, and use Office 2000, but reviews of XP so far are good. Since you're upgrading anyhow, maybe you should upgrade to the latest.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I had a similar choice last year.

I had Office 97 installed on Win 98.
    I purchased a 2nd sCSI drive and installed Win 2000 in dual boot mode on the 2nd drive (F drive).
    I then installed Office 2000 on Win 2000 on the F drive.

I rarely reboot as Win 98, and then only to use Office 97 or test out some VB stuff in Win 98.