3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Summing hours and minutes

I am using Excel 2007. How can I sum a column of hours:minutes to come up with total hours and minutes for the column.

Then is there a way to determine a $ per Minute by converting the hours:minutes from above to minutes and divide a total $ amount by the converted minutes?

Thanks and Happy 2012.

Thanks
    1) You can simply sum the column of numbers to get the total. If you haven't done so and the total will be over 24 hours, you will have to format as elapsed time instead of time of day: [h]:mm instead of h:mm

2) You can convert to minutes by multiplying the time by by 1440 since excel stores time in units of days [1440 = 24*60 = number of minutes in a day]. you can also do this math directly by dividing the dollars by the time and then dividing by 1440.

Steve

Pecoflyer
    Quote Originally Posted by sdckapr View Post
    1) You can simply sum the column of numbers to get the total. If you haven't done so and the total will be over 24 hours, you will have to format as elapsed time instead of time of day: [h]:mm instead of h:mm
    Just be aware that the [h]:mm format is limited to 30 days

Thanks
    Just be aware that the [h]:mm format is limited to 30 days
    I don't know what version of XL you are referring to. I can't check other versions but XL2010 can do 2.95 million days in hours with [h] (almost 71 million hours), though with that many hours and days, I think using hours or even days is a little awkward and I would prefer using more like 81 centuries or 8 millenia ...

Steve