Thanks

Message Rules when using IMAP

Ok, I have WLM 2011 email setup using IMAP, and have left Outlook '07 in POP3. My Windows7 Phone is now synching to WLM perfectly.
    However! I was cleaning up WLM, and when I went to create a rule, it politely told me that I could not create a rule.

"Note: You can't use rules for IMAP or HTTP email accounts like Windows Live Hotmail" See Attachment.

That to me seems a little odd, but then I have never used IMAP settings before.

Is this correct, and if so, is there a work around?

Happy New Year All and thanks for all of the assistance this past year!

IMAP.JPG

John
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Thanks
    Hi John, Happy New Year.

This is the options offered by my Gmail account. Don't ask for an explanation as its beyond me. What is offered by accessing yours.

RR.JPG
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    It is true that with WLM 2011 you can't create rules for IMAP accounts.

Joe

Thanks
    This is one of the reasons I have switched to Thunderbird.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have the same setup - using iPhone and iCloud (which is imap) synced to WLMail client (mail program on my computer) 2011. Errrrr. I have to say this is either buggy or just plain weird. In any event, it is sloooow as snails in that when you send a mail you have to waaait for it to show up in your sent folder on your computer so if you want to know if it went out, you just waiiiit. And if you have iCloud open at the same time, and go look in the imap folders for mail there, you also have to waaaiiiiit for that sent mail to show up. It is bizarre.

Thanks
    I went back to Outlook, as my e-mail client, set up everything in imap, and now my Windows phone 7 mail, works perfectly. In Outlook I set up my folders, and then the rules by account, and all is sync'd with my WP7 phone. I haven't noticed that problem kelliann1 but then I haven't looked for it either.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    T8N I'd be interested to know if you can see the sent mail in your sent folder instantly, and also if you can see it instantly on the web site where your imap is. I have Apple iPhone but Windows 7 Live Mail. The imap folders are on Apple's "iCloud Mail" (formerlhy MobileMe Mail) web site. I don't know that I have a choice of using imap on another web site. I had to set up an Apple @me.com email account in order to do this. My normal POP3 email accounts are not set up in Windows Live Mail yet because am not sure I am going to stick with WLM 2011, roll back to 2010, or use a non-Microsoft email program like Pegasus or Thunderbird.

Thanks
    I don't know if I would call it instantly, but when I send through my MSN account, it appears on my Windows Live Web fairly quickly, as do other things (i.e. One Note).
    As for my imap accounts, the sync there is controlled on the WP 7 in the Advanced Settings on the phone. The fastest is 15 minutes, although I can override that by touching the sync icon on the phone, or by clicking on Send and Receive in Outlook.
    As for sending, when I send a status update to Fb, or an e-mail, it goes out right away, but again, the sync is set to 15 minutes, so I don't see it in my Outlook until the sync has taken place, either manual or otherwidse.
    If you are looking to add subfolders to your inbox, or sent box, read above post by Joe. You cannot do rules in WLM 2011. If you do set up folders, they will appear on my WP 7, and I can manually move them to those folders, hence the reason I went back to Outlook where I can do rules while using imap settings. I don't know about Thunderbird or any of the others out there.

Hope this helps
    John
    Thanks John

Thanks
    I don't know if this will help you, but it may be worth a shot. I have an e-mail account that I rarely use, and tried this setup with Windows Live Hotmail, and it worked perfectly;
    http://explore.live.com/windows-live...counts-mail-ui
    Thanks John