New Lounger
    Thanks

Driver install fails when installing and repeats install on every boot

I just installed Win7 32-bit on a new PC. I then applied all the Windows recommended updates - approx. 100 of them, including SP1. Now I am installing vendor supplied drivers (not from Microsoft). All have installed except for the VGA driver. Here's what is happening:

The vendor shows three separate installation files. Not knowing which one I should use, I (foolishly) tried each of them. One appears to have installed successfully.

The other two are partially installed and require a re-boot to finish the install - which is standard procedure. When I restart I get the standard "wait while Windows prepares the update" messages during shutdown and rebooting. Then the updates are applied but fail due to missing or invalid files. Windows starts up and there are six error message windows on the desktop showing the error along with an "OK" button. I press all the OK's and the system runs fine.

Because these two installs fail they are never removed from the "got to be installed" queue so every time I boot or restart these two attempt to install and fail.

Sooooo, how do I kill these two installs? I want them dead and gone!

This is very frustrating, your assistance is much appreciated.

Thanks Lloyd
    Lloyd

Thanks
    I'm not a mod but the best way I've found is to remove old drivers in safe-mode But install drivers inside windows GUI.

Works for me!!

About the old drivers, I found this that worked for me in XP:

Remove all the old greyed out device drivers:

Press [Windows]+[Break/Pause], Select the Advanced tab and click the Environment Variables button.
    Click the New button below the System Variables panel and in the New System Variable dialog box, type devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices
    in the Variable Name text box and 1 in the Variable Value text box.
    Click OK to return to the System Properties box and then click OK again. Select the Hardware tab and click the Device Manager button.
    In Device Manager, go to View, then Show Hidden Devices, expand the various branches in the device tree and look for the washed out icons, which indicate unused device drivers.

To remove an unused device driver, right-click the icon and select Uninstall.

Then defrag and let it run till complete, Re-boot computer and you should be good to go.
    Last edited by Jagworld; 2012-01-02 at 22:26.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jagworld View Post
    I'm not a mod but the best way I've found is to remove old drivers in safe-mode But install drivers inside windows GUI.

Works for me!!

About the old drivers, I found this that worked for me in XP:

Remove all the old greyed out device drivers:
    Thanks for the reply Jagworld. I did what you suggested up to displaying the unused devices. There is only one in my list and it is the same as one in another Windows 7 system I have on a different PC. My conclusion, this does not have any connection to my problem of drivers not installing as described above.

I need some way of removing the scheduled installation of those two drivers that fail whenever the system starts up.

Thanks again - Lloyd
    Lloyd

Thanks
    Graphics card drivers are the most problematic drivers there are. A good adage "if if it ain't broke, don't fix it"! Win 7 includes very good drivers for most graphics adapters whereas many are experiencing problems with the latest drivers from the manufacturers (Seems Nvidia is the worst offender at present).

I would try using CCleaner to attempt to clean up the offending driver installation. It may have set something in the registry. Be very judicious on what you delete in the registry using CCleaner! Carefully check before deleting.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Along with what Ted said, I would also run through your startup listing in MSCONFIG and remove/terminate any
    apps/processes belonging to the effected drivers, do the same with taskmanager or Process explorer for running processes.

Doing all of the above in safemode would be preferable.

Thanks
    You could try:
    Boot into Safe Mode
    Do a System Restore to a point prior to the driver load

or
    Go to Device manager
    Expand 'Display adapters
    double click on your adapter
    click on the driver tab
    click on "roll back driver"

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    My thanks to everyone for their input and support.
    I am pleased to report that the problem has been solved.

In my last post I commented that I needed to remove the scheduled installation of the two failing installs. I then thought, hmmm, maybe there is a clue there in the word "scheduled". I looked at the Task Scheduler and lo and behold there they were. Delayed scheduled tasks to apply the updates I had mistakenly requested. I deleted all the scheduled items and all associated files - rebooted - everything was gone and the boot was clean.

I'm good to go now!

It really is a Happy New Year, already!
    Lloyd
    Lloyd

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ljbc1 For This Useful Post:

dll (2014-01-04)

Thanks
    Good for you Lloyd;
    It's funny at times where the problem lies. Glad it's solved.

Have A Good One!!

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs up Please write a full solution

Quote Originally Posted by ljbc1 View Post
    My thanks to everyone for their input and support.
    I am pleased to report that the problem has been solved.

In my last post I commented that I needed to remove the scheduled installation of the two failing installs. I then thought, hmmm, maybe there is a clue there in the word "scheduled". I looked at the Task Scheduler and lo and behold there they were. Delayed scheduled tasks to apply the updates I had mistakenly requested. I deleted all the scheduled items and all associated files - rebooted - everything was gone and the boot was clean.
    Please post a full manual type post as to what you did, and what worked for you, solution is simple, but make it step-wise for people like me.
    like search task scheduler>>
    Task Scheduler>>overview
    or
    library>> go to the right panel >> Display All Running Tasks >> end tasks
    or choose task from library dropdown and end and remove the offending task.

BS: you can skip this.
    This happened to me, i installed accidentally the microsoft WPD drivers (wanted to install printer drivers), while running hardware wizard, tired of setup dialog i started clicking next... next after few dialogs, incidentally added the WPD driver which was at top of list, it added to the schedule at boot-up after start.
    Same problem the ljbc1 faced.
    I wanted to remove this addition to scheduled tasks, but task didn't come to my mind, i searched for a setting in services, applications, in msconfig.
    thank you ljbc1!

please document it for there isn't much on the problem on web, the small percentage that face should post for benefit of others like me. common stuff is allover. there isn't much to this problem, but when you are frustrated you want simple answers after looking and searching for long.
    thanks all for the help and p2p help!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Open up Device manager and look for the Yellow Exclamation marks. You may have to expand all the items to see the yellow mark. Once you find the yellow mark right click on it and select uninstall. Do a shutdown and reboot and the message should be gone. - vladmiragapov
    posted on windows technet forums

thank you vladmir