Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks

Red face Limited or no connectivity

Hi all
    I have recently gone from a satellite broadband connection to using a Sierra Wireless Aircard 753S on the Australian Telstra 3G network. The wireless aircard is working great as a hotspot device for my laptop (which I'm running Linux Mint 12 on). However my issue is with my desktop which is running Windows XP (with SP3 and all relevant updates installed) and is dual booted with Linux Mint 12. I have a DLink Wireless G USB adapter (DWA-1.10) installed so I can link my Aircard. When I log on to my desktop into Linux Mint it picks up the wireless hotspot no problems, however when I log into Windows it shows as connecting to the aircard but with limited or no connectivity which of course is of no use at all.

I have switched off encryption and then it works fine but naturally I don’t what to use it with no security, I have also tried a lower level of encryption on (e.g WPA Personal instead of WPA2 etc) but again that results in limited or no connectivity.

So as I am at a loss for other ideas was hoping someone could suggest so other options to get it working on Windows

Thanks for any ideas
    Cheers

Dax

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Is there an updated XP driver for the D-Link?

Are you using the bundled D-Link UI, or running native from XP Zero Configuration? Sometimes Zero Config makes a better job of running the adapter than the manufacturers UI when trying to figure our if it is peer-to-peer, ad-hoc, client etc.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Tinto
    Thanks for your reply, I updated the driver from DLink but still not having any luck getting connectivity. I have attached some screen dumps which I'm hoping may help with solving this problem.

Cheers
    Dax
    Attached Images Attached Images

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This may be of some interest...

http://neosmart.net/blog/2007/why-is...omatic-update/

Not sure how current that info is though...

Then again, it depends on how current a PC may be.
    Last edited by Browni; 2012-01-03 at 22:29.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Browni
    Thanks for the suggetion. I did read the article and tried to install the update manually but was advised as I have SP3 already installed it supersedes the manual download. So guess I'm still at a roadblock of where to go next
    Cheers
    Dax

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Dax, can you go back to basics for a minute: open a command prompt and run an "ipconfig /all" command (without the quotes). Copy and past the results.

It should help verify that DHCP is enabled and that nothing else unusual is set in the adapter properties.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Tinto
    Attached is the ipconfig file as requested...hope this helps
    Cheers
    Dax
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Thanks Dax, the ipconfig /all command confirms dhcp enabled and also that an Automatic Private IP Address (APIPA) has been assigned by Windows. This is the normal behaviour when Windows expect to negotiate a dhcp address but is not allocated one by the dhcp server (in your router).

Together with the tests you've already run from Linux, it more or less rules out any hardware or Windows OS problems. Pretty much the only thing left is the encryption. I'm struggling to recall if I've seen an XP box running with WPA2, or just with WPA. However, as per Browni's post, Microsft do have WPA2 updates available from here, so it should be available. I'm loathed to suggest running with WEP, but if you are in a "low threat" environment, it might be worth a try. If you do go with WEP, take steps to increase your network security - use an OS firewall, rotate the WEP key and router admin password etc.

One other thing I notice: the desktop of your XP box. Is that a Media Centre Edition (MCE)? There might be something odd about WPA2 on MCE, which is different than Home or Pro.

Thanks
    Do you have the D-Link connection manager running? Run MSconfig and look at the startup tab. Uncheck any item that references Dlink. You already have "let Windows manage my connections" (best choice) set and the Dlink software can interfere with it.

Jerry

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Tinto
    Again thanks for all your assistance, which I'm sure is as frustrating for you as it is for me.
    Anyway I tried changing my encrypton from WPA2 AES to WPA/WPA2 and again without success. The only other encrypton option I have on the device is no encrypton, and although not very safe is the only way I can get it to work and is how I'm able to respond to you at this time. So am not sure what else I can do encrypton wise.

Also I don't have MCE on my desktop, the background you can see in the screenshot is only an official Embedded theme for Windows XP and 2003 available from http://www.AskVG.com/

One other option I thought of was if I installed Windows 7 Pro, would that possibly sort out my problem. I have a legal copy I could use if it was worth it although I have a soft spot for XP.

Cheers

Dax

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Jerry
    Thanks for yur suggestion, I have made sue everything related to Dlink is disabled but alas still no luck.
    Anyway thanks for your suggestion
    Cheers
    Dax

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Hi Dax, yes I can sense your frustration: it works fine in Linux, but not XP.

Normally I would have no hesitation in suggesting moving up to Win7, but a little bit of me still worries about an unresolved hardware/driver issue. Can you arrange to dual boot the machine and install a 30 day trial of Win7 (no need to enter the key while installing). That may give you an indication of whether it's going to work "out of the box", or if you will be faced with the same issue. If it works and you are content with Win7, go ahead and activate it, migrating data and programs then removing the XP install.

Alternatively, can you source an inexpensive alternative dongle to verify that you can establish a WPA2 connection? If so, then there is no networking reason to move to Win7 (though of course there are plenty of other good reasons, but that's for a different time and place!)

Sorry can't help much more: I suspect there is a problem with support for that particular dongle in XP, but I have no way of investigating that hunch.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks again Tinto, I'll see if I can get another dongle to try out, if not then yeah I'll dual boot to Win7 and see what happens.

Thanks again for all your assistance
    Cheers
    Dax

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Tinto
    Thought I'd send you an update. Well I went ahead and installed Windows 7 on a separate partition and suprise surprise surprise, my internet just popped straight up without any problems, so I guess that's the end of XP for me. Still have no idea why it wouldn't work under XP but happy to move on and use Win7.
    Now to go and migrate everything.
    Thanks again for all your assistance
    Cheers
    Dax

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Thanks for posting back Dax. I guess there is something not right with WPA2 support for that dongle on XP.

Glad it's worked out in the end and though: have fun with Win7!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast