5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Facebook = breach of privacy

Yet again I have received an invite to join facebook as somebody wants to be my friend and facebook wants to let me know about all the other people who would like to be friends.

I don't have a facebook account and don't intend to in the near future but the email has a link where I can unsubscribe

I never subscribed in the first place!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you ever send or receive an email to anybody,
    you may be in their address book.

If they join Facebook and ask it to find their friends,
    Facebook will look in their address book and see you and deem you AS a friend.

There is one good thing that we owe to Facebook, this IT CROWD Friendface skit - 59 seconds of pure hilarity.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rNgCnY1lPg
    Last edited by alan.b; 2011-10-20 at 03:42. Reason: spelling

3. The Following User Says Thank You to alan.b For This Useful Post:

midnight (2011-10-20)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    If you are sure that you have never set up a facebook account, it might be a scam to get information that can be used for various reasons.
    It is even easier to mimic that email than most bank ones and they could get your email address and a password (most people use the same one for many things) that can be matched up and tried on other sites.

Never respond to unknown messages that ask you to reply or give an unsubscribe link.

Go directly to the facebook web page (www.facebook.com) and check if you can sign in with your email. Also check for yourself via name and locality information. That should clarify if you or anyone else ever set up a facebook page in your name. If a page doesn't exist, the message is deffinately bogus and probably an attempt to verify that your email goes to a real person or to havest possible email/password pairs. Just finding out that your email still goes to a real person is valuable to people who get paid more by spammers for good addresses.

Some countries such as China and Iran have been looking for ways to "look innocent" and be in social media so that they can monitor it. One of the newsletters that I read made a good case that the security certificate company hacking from a month or so ago may have been Iran setting up to watch social media by creating a man in the middle system where all the traffic in their country to those sites is routed through their fake front end. The security certificates that were created were not for financial institutions but included ways to get to social media and the only use found for the fake certificates was from a server in Iran.
    Last edited by bill f; 2011-10-20 at 06:20.

Thanks
    Thanks Alan for the laugh of the day. Facebook is one of the most addictive things to come down the web for young people particularly.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Not just young people; anybody who has kids or grandkids or relatives with kids, cuz they either think its their social responsibility to look after them a bit or keep in touch when they're away at college...and it just takes a few to start and because of how friends of friends works, it can go from 0 to escape velocity very quickly.
    From my observational experience (I occasionally look at a facebook page my Mom has open) the youngsters are addicted to posting all kinds of stuff and almost without an regard to content, and the oldsters are addicted to browsing the material, like a nosey neighbor who just got a new pair of binoculars.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I agree with Infinicore's observation. What puzzles me is where do these people find all this time?
    Chuck

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Possibly from where you spend your time being helpful on forums

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Browni View Post
    Possibly from where you spend your time being helpful on forums
    Touche
    Chuck