3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Live Mail: I can't find Help - clicking Help takes me to hotmail

When I click Help on the Windows Live Mail email program all it does is take me online to a Hotmail home page. I can't find any way to get to a Help screen or window from there. How can an email program or any program not come with a Help section??

If, under the Help button, I click Search the Mail Discussion Group it takes me to a web page which always says unavailable try later. If I click Read the Mail Blog, it takes me to a page which says This Windows Live Space No Longer Available. I am stuck - I have no way to help myself or get my own answers. I have been searching all over the internet for answers to questions. I am wasting hours and hours and getting nowhere. Please - can some one give me a link to help for Windows Live Mail used as an email program on my computer?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Thanks
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    BruceR's suggestion gives more choices as well as link to roderunners site.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Wow - 18 pages of questions from windows live mail users in the microsoft WLM forum so far today and it's only 9:30 p.m. here. Lost mail, and all kinds of stuff. This *can't* be a good mail program!!! And most of these questions are unanswered. Wish MS had included Help with the email client (program). How dumb - there's nothing that tells you how to use the various features.

I still don't understand this hotmail/livemail thing. I get my email via my ISP and am not at all interested in having Microsoft's online mail intrude in that set up.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Those threads are posts that have had activity today, either created today or had a reply today. I agree it is difficult to find decent Help for WLM. You might try the "Microsoft Certified Solution Categories" at the page you see with Roderunner's link in post #3.

Joe

Thanks
    Hi Joe,
    I got the link by highlighting WLE in 'Programs and features'.

RR.jpg

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roderunner View Post
    Hi Joe,
    I got the link by highlighting WLE in 'Programs and features'.

RR.jpg
    I wonder if, like you, kelliann1 is using a version of Windows Live Mail which is nearly three years old?

Version 14.0.8117.416 of Windows Live Essentials was released in 2009: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows...9_.28Wave_3.29

The final version of Windows Live Essentials 2011 has been available for more than a year: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows...1_.28Wave_4.29

I think the only reason to be still using WLE 2009 would be if for some reason you are stuck with using Windows XP, since WLE 2011 is only for Windows Vista or Windows 7.

It would probably explain the three different links from the Windows Live Mail program to web pages which no longer exist.

You can download the latest version of Windows Live Essentials at http://explore.live.com/windows-live-essentials

Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2012-01-05 at 18:17.

Thanks
    Hi Bruce,

Their is currently no power on the planet that will make me upgrade to the latest WLM 2011 version.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Hi Bruce,

Their is currently no power on the planet that will make me upgrade to the latest WLM 2011 version.
    Why?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Bruce, yes, my WLM I have been talking about is 2009 and it is on a 2007 laptop with Win7 Professional. Just got a new laptop yesterday and it has a newer version, 2011. This newer version has icons on tool bar instead of text, which I like better, and it has tabs at the top with different functions which my version does not have. I saw in that WLM Live help forum that a lot of people said they couldn't send or receive mail once they went to 2011. I hope that doesn't happen to me. I am not using Live Mail on the 2007 or the new computer yet. I do all my mail on the 2003 laptop with XP and Outlook Express.

I *REALLY* miss the View Source tab at the bottom - I use it several times a week to change code for text I've pasted in that refuses to be changed with the OE formatting bar..

Anyway, if I could collapse all those email accounts and hide them from sight, it would go a long way toward making WLM useable for me. Hard to believe nobody yet has come up with a way to tweak all these things. I just downloaded Classic Shell for the 2007 machine and it sure works great for me! I think Woody wrote about it some time ago.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    Why?
    The menu's are not hidden and are customizable, plus photos in main body of the message.

RR.jpg

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The menu's are not hidden and are customizable, plus photos in main body of the message.

RR.jpg
    I'm not sure what your screen shot is intended to demonstrate. Isn't that WLM 2009?

I think you can opt out of photo emails in WLM 2011.

Hidden good? Customizable bad?