apakabar

Runtime error when 'View as web page'

Does anyone know why I am getting a runtime error in Windows Explorer when View "as a web page" is selected and I highlight a file?

The message is "A Runtime error has occured - do you wish to debug? Line: 268. Error: Object doesn't support this property or method". It has Yes and No options, but it doesn't make any difference which you choose. Originally, I think it gave error messages about the Folder.htt file provided with Windows, but I have replaced this from the installation disk to no avail.

Any help much appreciated: it's a real pain, because I often want to look at the properties of documents without right-clicking, ...., and with this I can't (also can't use any web-related content in Windows Explorer, although this is less of an issue).

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Runtime error when 'View as web page'

What you're seeing is corruption in the HTT folder template - in plain English, that means that the code required to display the folder is screwed up. You will see this on various websites that are not coded well also. Internet Explorer is what is trying to display that for you and is choking on the HTML code that generates the web view.

Is there an easy fix? That I don't know. You could turn off web view, which IMHO slows the works down and eats up too much screen space. Or you could also try re-installing Windows and/or Internet Explorer.

Internet Explorer has a built in repair tool as well. You didn't specify whether you were running the default version that is installed with Windows, so I don't know whether this will be useful for you.

So you know, Windows 98 comes with IE 4 built in, and Windows 98 SE has IE 5.
    -Mark

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Runtime error when 'View as web page'

Are you up to editing the folder.htt file? It's fairly straightforward HTML. If, indeed, the fault lies there (and it probably does) try to find, on your system, another folder.htt file. (The default is in the Windows directory in a folder call Web). When you get the error message, take a careful note of the Line the error occurs on (268 in your case) and see if you can spot it within the folder.htt. If you can identify the line, but can't see anything wrong, post it and let's have a look.
    Note that extracting the file from the CD might not work unless you copy the new version to the Web folder. Every folder which has its own 'View as Web Page' should have the file called folder.htt in its root.

Rgds