5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Displaying HTML pages incorrectly

Today my sister opened an email to print out tickets for a show that were in HTML format on my Comp as she was visiting.
    When I clicked on the attachment to open it in Firefox 9.01 the page did not display correctly with the bottom half of letters missing.
    I thought this might just be a Firefox thing so tried opening it in IE 9. but it displayed just the same with bottom half of letters missing.
    Once we got round to her place we opened it on her laptop with Firefox and it displayed with no problems.

It also did same problem on my Dell laptop.

The only difference I can see on her laptop is that she has win7 HP 32bit where on both my machines that I have tried it on have win7 HP 64bit.

I am wondering if HTML is not really supported in 64bit OS's

If anyone has any idea please help.

P.S.

Had a thought that I did have a desktop down stairs that was running win 7HP 32bit so tried to open same HTML page. But it also had same problem with bottom half of letters missing.
    So that seems to rule out the bitness though.

The only other diffence is I am on AOL broadband via a router/modem where my sister at her home is using an Orange pay as you go dongle.

regards
    Clive
    Last edited by curiousclive; 2012-01-04 at 17:05.

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I am on AOL broadband
    That's likely to be the problem.

Even if you ditch the AOL browser, you are still being routed over the AOL network, which from my experience, does some rather odd things. I'm not sure about the details, but I believe traffic is routed differently on AOL compared to most other mainstream UK ISP's.

I don't encounter AOL broadband that often nowadays, but when I do it's not unusual for the PC to be acting rather odd. To be fair though, a PC running AOL is often an older machine which may be affected by other issues too.

To test the AOL theory, you could borrow your sister's Orange mobile broadband dongle, use that on your machine and check if Firefox renders the html correctly.

If it does, there are plenty of better (read: lower cost) broadband options.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    In IE9 you can try "playing" with some of the accessibility settings. Go to Tools | Internet Options | General (tab) | Accessibility (button).

Have you tried running IE9 with add-ons disabled?

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinto Tech View Post
    That's likely to be the problem.

Even if you ditch the AOL browser, you are still being routed over the AOL network, which from my experience, does some rather odd things. I'm not sure about the details, but I believe traffic is routed differently on AOL compared to most other mainstream UK ISP's.

I don't encounter AOL broadband that often nowadays, but when I do it's not unusual for the PC to be acting rather odd. To be fair though, a PC running AOL is often an older machine which may be affected by other issues too.

To test the AOL theory, you could borrow your sister's Orange mobile broadband dongle, use that on your machine and check if Firefox renders the html correctly.

If it does, there are plenty of better (read: lower cost) broadband options.
    Thanks for your response. I have been with AOL since it started and been very happy with it without any known problems for me. I do not use the AOL software as I agree it is an over-bloated mess, but access my emails via Firefox or Waterfox. This is the first time I have had problems opening HTML pages all my other ones open and display correctly. So I was thinking it might be the HTML site as someone suggested. But this did not explain why the same HTML page opens correctly on my sister comp whose ISP is Orange. So beginning to think it may be AOL but I do not want to go through all the hassle of changing ISP as only just renewed contract at very reasonable costs just for one failed HTML page which as she only wanted to print out her tickets which we finally did at her place after installing the printer she had finally bought is now a non issue.

So thanks everyone for all your help but don't think this is worth any more investigation.