5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Some leftover patch business from 2011

PATCH WATCH

Some leftover patch business from 2011

By Susan Bradley

We ended 2011 with an out-of-cycle .NET update one that desktop users can ignore for now but Web-server admins should make a high priority.

There are also a few other leftover 2011 updates it's time to put behind us.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/patch-watch/some-leftover-patch-business-from-2011/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Susan,

I just finished the latest newsletter and attempted to work on the MS Office 2010 patches. I have a couple questions...

1. I clicked one of the links and the MS page notes I should use Microsoft Update (recommended.) I have Windows 7 Pro. I thought I had installed MS Update but only see Windows Update in the start menu. Is there a way to tell if you have the upgrade to MS Update installed? I don't see it listed under the Programs and Features control panel list of installed programs. (BTW, I tried going to the MS Update page but it continues to crash the page, as it did yesterday. Or, it simply launches Windows Update. Perhaps the two are rolled together in Windows 7 with no name change... I just finished reading the WS article on Windows Defender Offline and its name history.)

2. You always give the patch numbers but it doesn't appear that one can search the list of installed updates in "View Update History" easily for the KB number. I can sort by update name or click the link at page bottom in Windows Update for "Installed Updates" and scan visually but this seems less efficient.

3. I swear I used to be able to verify if Office was current with updates from a MS Word menu in previous versions. Office 2010 is quite different and see nothing to verify if I am running Office SP1.

Take care,

Paul

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by xpuserpjc View Post
    1. I clicked one of the links and the MS page notes I should use Microsoft Update (recommended.) I have Windows 7 Pro. I thought I had installed MS Update but only see Windows Update in the start menu. Is there a way to tell if you have the upgrade to MS Update installed? I don't see it listed under the Programs and Features control panel list of installed programs. (BTW, I tried going to the MS Update page but it continues to crash the page, as it did yesterday. Or, it simply launches Windows Update. Perhaps the two are rolled together in Windows 7 with no name change... I just finished reading the WS article on Windows Defender Offline and its name history.)
    After Control Panel, Windows Update, click on Change Settings and under the Microsoft Update heading check the box for "Give me updates for Microsoft products and check for new optional Microsoft software when I update Windows". This will then appear on the main Windows Update panel as "You receive updates: For Windows and other products from Microsoft Update".

2. You always give the patch numbers but it doesn't appear that one can search the list of installed updates in "View Update History" easily for the KB number. I can sort by update name or click the link at page bottom in Windows Update for "Installed Updates" and scan visually but this seems less efficient.
    After clicking Installed Updates, enter KB and the number (no space) in the search box at top right.

3. I swear I used to be able to verify if Office was current with updates from a MS Word menu in previous versions. Office 2010 is quite different and see nothing to verify if I am running Office SP1.
    After clicking Help, About; click "Additional Version and Copyright Information": Verifying Office 2010 SP1 Installation

Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2012-01-05 at 21:36.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Bruce,

As per your last link, I selected "File > Help" in MS Word where the right panel shows the version information. Clicking the "Additional Version and Copyright Information" link does, indeed, verify that I have SP1 installed for Office 2010.

I also verified that I already have the Microsoft Update option checked for the Windows Update control panel. (Control Panel > System and Security > Windows Update > Change settings.")

The Knowledge Base article noted in Susan's article, KB2460049, does not appear in a search of installed updates. A KB article linked from that page is KB2532118, which begets KB2121559. None appear in a search of installed updates, but the last has a chart showing Office executable versions for pre-SP1 and with SP1, which is helpful.

I understand the Outlook hotfix, KB2597052, has to be a manual install and directly after an SP1 install. I think I'll just skip it. I don't have the problem and if one doesn't, don't install a hotfix. This has been a fair amount of effort. Thanks for your reply.

Paul

Thanks
    Regarding the Windows 7 SP1 upgrade, I have posted this elsewhere in The Lounge, but some folks will need to update some drivers to get a good result. I have a Core-i5/NVidia laptop, and this is one combination which did need a driver update, even though it was less than a year old at the time I did my upgrade. The underlying issue seems to be certain OEM System Files which the SP1 installer does not like to overwrite.

Also, Microsoft will provide the upgrade DVD for the price of shipping and handling, thus avoiding the time and bandwidth usage of downloading this behemoth yourself. I paid under $10.00 (USD) for my copy of the SP1 upgrade DVD. It arrived within ten business days of ordering it. Links to this alternative abound in The Lounge.
    -- Bob Primak --

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Dumb question to be sure - Susan's Patch Watch mentions files/patches that, on investigation, are for 32-bit but not 64-bit Win-7. Should I accept those updates even though I just run 64-bit, or, conversely, is there any hazard to downloading 32-bit updates?

xdhs2002

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xdhs2002 View Post
    Dumb question to be sure - Susan's Patch Watch mentions files/patches that, on investigation, are for 32-bit but not 64-bit Win-7. Should I accept those updates even though I just run 64-bit, or, conversely, is there any hazard to downloading 32-bit updates?

xdhs2002
    Windows Update will only offer updates that are relevant to your system. If you are running a 64-bit OS you will NOT be able to install a 32-bit patch. Conversly if you are running a 32-bit OS you also NOT be able to install a 64-bit patch.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, thank you for the reply, but here is my problem with that: right now "Updates" has 12 patches in line for me for Office/Excell/PP/OneNote and Outlook, all 32-bit. Now I recognize that those are literally not my Operating System, but they run within it, or are run by it ("it" = 64-bit OS). Thus I have assumed that Office 2010 64-bit would not need Office 2010 32-bit.

Do I need the Office 32-bit stuff for a laptop that has never had anything but Win-7 64bit??

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Unless you specifically installed the 64-bit version of Office you most likely have the 32-bit version installed. The 32-bit version is the default install. In fact, it is recommended that you use the 32-bit version unless there is a very good reason to use the 64-bit version. Most Office add-ins have not been upgraded to a 64-bit version and will not work correctly. The 32-bit version of Office will work just fine on a 64-bit version of Windows as will most other 32-bit application programs. If you are being offered 32-bit Office patches by Windows Update you have the 32-bit version installed. You can NOT have both versions installed at the same time.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe -
    I appreciate your interest and concern!

I bought the Computer specifically with a 64-bit OS installed.
    Windows Update shovels 64-bit updates since Day 1.
    I installed Office 2010 64-bit (as best I recall).
    I am trying to absolutely confirm all of that and will advise.
    My original question was: since I have 64-bit OS, 64-bit Office, should I download 32-bit Office patches that Windows tries to give me?

Dan

Thanks
    What Joe is trying to tell you is that some of your programs running under 64bit Win 7 OS ARE 32 bit programs and need the updates.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by xdhs2002 View Post
    Joe -
    I appreciate your interest and concern!

I bought the Computer specifically with a 64-bit OS installed.
    Windows Update shovels 64-bit updates since Day 1.
    I installed Office 2010 64-bit (as best I recall).
    I am trying to absolutely confirm all of that and will advise.
    My original question was: since I have 64-bit OS, 64-bit Office, should I download 32-bit Office patches that Windows tries to give me?

Dan
    Even "64-bit Office" has some 32-bit components. Patch everything you are offered.
    -- Bob Primak --