5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Five tricks for improving Windows Media Player

BEST PRACTICES
    Five tricks for improving Windows Media Player

By Lincoln Spector

As music CDs give way to downloaded tunes, PCs are taking on a new role as personal, digital jukeboxes.

There are plenty of Windows music players to choose from, but one of the best — Window Media Player 12 — comes free with every copy of Windows 7. Here's how to make it even better.

The full text of this column is posted at WindowsSecrets.com/best-practices/five-tricks-for-improving-Windows-Media-Player/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by Kathleen Atkins; 2012-01-04 at 17:25.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Media Player

WMP 11 in XP has an extensive meta-data editing feature accessible from the right-click menu given for any track listed in the collection. WMP 12 under Win 7 seems to have completely eliminated this feature; the only meta-data which can be edited is the stuff available from the properties sheet accessible from the Windows Explorer view of the file. What's up with that? Or have they "improved" the feature and moved it to some obscure place?

I've always made extensive use of those features - album title, artist, composer, a whole laundry list of data - and now that I've moved up to current technology, it's been made irrelevant.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cavourite View Post
    WMP 11 in XP has an extensive meta-data editing feature accessible from the right-click menu given for any track listed in the collection. WMP 12 under Win 7 seems to have completely eliminated this feature; the only meta-data which can be edited is the stuff available from the properties sheet accessible from the Windows Explorer view of the file. What's up with that? Or have they "improved" the feature and moved it to some obscure place?

I've always made extensive use of those features - album title, artist, composer, a whole laundry list of data - and now that I've moved up to current technology, it's been made irrelevant.
    It looks like that can be easily fixed with the free Windows Media Player Plus! plugin mentioned in the above article. (First feature listed under Description at the "info" link.)

I think the article could have mentioned that the free Windows Media Player Plus! plugin only works for the default 32-bit WMP12, not for the 64-bit WMP12 also in Windows 7.

Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2012-01-06 at 23:01.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Media Monkey 4

In regards to stopping playback at the end of the current song, Media Monkey 4 now has a "Stop Playback After Current File" button located right next to the playback controls on its main screen. I've found it one of the best improvements in version 4 to this fine player.