Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Defender Offline old name, new use

TOP STORY

Windows Defender Offline old name, new use

By Woody Leonhard

Microsoft's newly released beta version of Windows Defender Offline, a rootkit-sniffing and Windows-rehabilitation tool, should be the latest addition to your bag of Windows-repair tricks.
    WDO should be able to catch a wide variety of nasties that evade detection by more traditional antivirus methods.

The full text of this column is posted at WindowsSecrets.com/top-story/windows-defender-offline-old-name-new-use/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

New Lounger
    Thanks

32bit vs 64 bit - machine versus OS

Neither the article nor the MS website is clear whether the version (32 bit vice 64 bit) has to match the installed operating system or the hardware it is being used on. This is even less obvious than it should be since the terms machine and system are used interchangeably and indeed it is possible that some users are running 32 bit Windows on a 64 bit computer.

I can't find a definitive answer to this and I'm not going to go through the effort of the various tests but my instinct/opinion is that the software should match the bittedness (to use Woody's term) of the hardware as opposed to the operating system.

Jim

New Lounger
    Thanks
    AFAIK the new version has been out for 2 weeks. I have been running it on an XP SP2 machine. Glad to see you guys are on top of things like this.

Bzman

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have dowloaded the program, installed on a CD and restarted PC with the CD. So far, no welcome screen and/or nothing happens.
    What would be the problem and how to fix it?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    "bittedness"???? Come on now!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Lighten up!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am an IT technician and have couple of questions because I am often removing malware from client's computers.

1. After booting on CD and running Windows Defender Offline, how effective is the update function?
    2. Does the boot CD include a fairly complete range of NIC device drivers?

If the answer to either of the above is no, then it appears that it will be necessary to download the product every time it's used to ensure latest signatures, engine etc.

Regards
    Ken

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JavaJim View Post
    Neither the article nor the MS website is clear whether the version (32 bit vice 64 bit) has to match the installed operating system or the hardware it is being used on. This is even less obvious than it should be since the terms machine and system are used interchangeably and indeed it is possible that some users are running 32 bit Windows on a 64 bit computer.

I can't find a definitive answer to this and I'm not going to go through the effort of the various tests but my instinct/opinion is that the software should match the bittedness (to use Woody's term) of the hardware as opposed to the operating system.

Jim
    Hello Jim, and welcome to the Lounge!

The 32 and 64 bit Woody mentioned refers to the bittedness of the Windows operating system. Almost all processors in use today, except some of the old Intel Atom processors used in early netbooks, are 64 bit processors. Intel and AMD desktop processors have both been 64 bit processors since 2005, when Intel introduced the Pentium 4F "Prescott 2M" processor. AMD's Athlon 64 preceded Intel's desktop 64 bit processor by about 16 months.

The 32 bit Windows OS runs fine on 64 bit hardware, although now most Windows PC's come standard with Windows 7 64 bit. Most of the installed Windows XP base is 32 bit running on 64 bit hardware, at least on machines built since 2005.

If one has 32 bit Windows installed, then the 32 bit version of the WDO should be used. If the installed OS is 64 bit Windows, then the 64 bit version of WDO should be used.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I dual boot W7x64 and XPProx86, which should I use?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by A1ex View Post
    I dual boot W7x64 and XPProx86, which should I use?
    I would burn two optical disks, one with the 32 bit version of WDO and one with the 64 bit WDO. Just be sure when you want to scan the Windows 7 partition, you boot to the WDO 64 bit, and choose the correct partition to scan. Likewise, boot to the WDO 32 bit when you want to scan XP Pro. Of course, that means you will have to boot to CDs twice to scan both operating systems.

According to Woody, using the Custom scan option allows you to choose specific drives and folders for scanning.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Deadeye81 For This Useful Post:

A1ex (2012-01-06)

Thanks
    @JavaJim - Most modern PCs will run either 32-bit or 64-bit Windows. (I'm tempted to say "all".) So in that sense the hardware itself on just about any PC you come across nowadays is 64-bit capable.

The difference is in the operating system. You're either running a 32-bit version of Windows, or a 64-bit version of Windows.

(OOOPS. Thanks Deadeye81. Just noticed your post. As usual, you're exactly right!)
    Woody

For Dummies book author, Senior Contributing Editor for InfoWorld, and long-suffering Windows victim. Check out the latest at AskWoody.com.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by donald86 View Post
    I have dowloaded the program, installed on a CD and restarted PC with the CD. So far, no welcome screen and/or nothing happens.
    What would be the problem and how to fix it?
    Chances are good the PC isn't booting from the CD.
    Woody

For Dummies book author, Senior Contributing Editor for InfoWorld, and long-suffering Windows victim. Check out the latest at AskWoody.com.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by k-farlow View Post
    I am an IT technician and have couple of questions because I am often removing malware from client's computers.

1. After booting on CD and running Windows Defender Offline, how effective is the update function?
    2. Does the boot CD include a fairly complete range of NIC device drivers?

If the answer to either of the above is no, then it appears that it will be necessary to download the product every time it's used to ensure latest signatures, engine etc.

Regards
    Ken
    By far, the simplest solution is to use a USB drive and just download WDO immediately before you need to use it. There are ways to manually update the definitions, but why bother?

No idea how many NIC device drivers are included. Are you concerned about infected NIC device drivers?
    Woody

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi all,
    I had no problem downloading for Vista 32. But can't figure out how to do XP3. I don't see how to get into that section?
    Help!
    LeRoy

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by leroym View Post
    Hi all,
    I had no problem downloading for Vista 32. But can't figure out how to do XP3. I don't see how to get into that section?
    Help!
    LeRoy
    Welcome to the Lounge, LeRoy!

The 32 bit version of WDO you downloaded should run fine for Windows XP SP3. XP requires the 32 bit download.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast