New Lounger
    Thanks

Dual booting XP and Win 7

Recently partitioned my HD and installed Win 7 on the new partition. When I start up and get the Windows Boot Manager page it gives me two choices, "Earlier version of Windows" or "Windows 7" with Win 7 being the default. But, it won't let me select the earlier version (XP) for some reason. What am I doing wrong? Any ideas?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ewbone View Post
    Recently partitioned my HD and installed Win 7 on the new partition. When I start up and get the Windows Boot Manager page it gives me two choices, "Earlier version of Windows" or "Windows 7" with Win 7 being the default.Any ideas?
    ewbone,
    Hello..and welcome to W.S. Lounge... The easy way to "Dual Boot" XP and Windows 7 (or any OS) is to download and install EasyBCD Free This will allow you to set your OS to boot ( Set Default) and choose at boot time whichever OS you want.Post back with any questions regarding EasyBCD ...Give it a good read through before you "Pull The Trigger" Regards Fred
    PS: The Free version is on the bottom of the page.

PPS:... Install EasyBCD on both XP and "7" this way if you have to do a recovery at some time in the future whichever OS boots up you can easily repair the boot sequence..
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2012-01-14 at 12:02.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello, Fred,
    Thanks for the prompt reply. I downloaded EasyBCD as suggested and the first thing I did was do away with the countdown before it loaded the default OS automatically. That would be Win 7. However, after doing that it would still show the two options, but couldn't select either one nor could I load either of the options, ie, either of the partitions. For that reason I'm now emailing from another computer. I've checked to make sure it's not a problem with my keyboard, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

I would appreciate any further ideas.

EWB from SLC

Thanks
    EWB, Welcome to the Lounge as a new poster.

Fred probably knows EasyBCD better than I but here is what your Boot screen should look similar to (your should show XP and Win 7). You should not put zero in for the wait time as you will not have any time to make a selection.

EasyBCDScreen.jpg

As you can see I have set my wait time as 3 seconds, and chose to use the Win 7 Boot Manager rather than the Win 8 DP Boot Manager. Your latest problem may be related to removing the wait time. You might have to reinstall Win 7 or at least do a repair install.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Ted,

I had exactly the screen you show earlier today, but can't get back to it now. In fact I can't get past the Windows Boot Manager screen. Tried to do a Win 7 repair, but can't get that CD to run either. Can you explain how to make it run? I'm thinking my problem is really a Boot Manager problem, and probably not strictly a Win 7 problem. Anyway, I appreciate your efforts and whatever you can suggest for me.

EWB from SLC

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello again Fred and Ted. Just discovered that the Boot Manager won't work with a USB keyboard so I replaced my USB unit with another older one I have around. And it worked?

My thanks to both of you for your efforts on my behalf. I've learned some things from the two of you so hope I can keep this running. Again, thanks.

EWB from SLC

Thanks
    Your system probably has to get to a certain section is the boot sequence before the USB drivers are loaded and and that is after the OS selection. This is something I totally forgot about. Old age I guess. Never came to mind. Oh well, glad you got that sorted out. Have a great Sunday!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Check your BIOS for a USB legacy support setting. If it's there, enabling it should allow your USB keyboard to work at boot.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Jerry, thanks for the information. I've made the change and am using my original keyboard. It's nice to know there's this kind of support available when trouble comes...as it always does sooner or later with computers.

EWB from SLC

Thanks
    You're welcome

Jerry