New Lounger
    Thanks

Win 7 PC not seeing XP machine on network

I have a small home network that's a mix of wired and wireless. There are two wired pcs and the question concerns those. One is running XP home, the other is a machine I built running win 7 ultimate. I have entered the same workgroup information on each PC, but they cannot see each other. Both of these pcs can see my son's MacBook when it is on the network, and both connect to the Internet through the router they're wired into. Before I built the win 7 machine, I had an older XP machine that had no trouble seeing and accessing resources on the xp computer that I still use, and vice versa. We also used to have a laptop that ran vista, and it could connect to the resources on the xp machine. I have a win 7 laptop now, and it has connected to the win 7 desktop without difficulty.

Any ideas on what I might be doing wrong here? I have some large files I want to transfer between these 2 computers and I'd rather not have to do it by burning DVDs.

Thanks
    Mark

Thanks
    How To Geek has a fairly detailed article on networking XP and Win 7
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I had seen that site before I asked the question, and checked to see if I had anything inconsistent with what it says, and didn't find anything. But when I have the chance this weekend, I'll start over again and report back.

Administrator
    Thanks
    See post #2 at http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...l=1#post600689. Even though it refers to XP the steps should be applicable to Win7. There are some good links for additional information too.

Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Although the HowToGeek article maintains that default workgroup name is Workgroup, in my experience this is not true for Windows XP, for which the default is MSHOME. This was the problem in my case.

Problem is on an existing network, there are many machines using MSHOME, so in such a case you need to decide whether to change all the existing machines, or just the new machines (and any that follow!).

Not sure why this change was made, but it's a real pain for backward compatibility!

Chris

Administrator
    Thanks
    Until XP the default Workgroup name was always Workgroup. With XP Pro it is still Workgroup. With XP Home it is MSHome. I'm sure that Microsoft had some convoluted reason to make that change. That was over a decade ago and has caused networking problems ever since. I'd recommend going through the trouble of change MSHOME to Workgroup and then working through any networking problems. That will save you headaches in the future.

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    icebox, hello.
    I faced this situation yesterday and I remembered having gotten a high hand on it before. I was redoing a given machine. W-7 needs a password, any ! It then migh ask you for it or it might not, I fail to see the logic but this is what I see. Also, the MSHOME - Workgroup controversy is easily overcome, just change it to all the same, whatever your little ruddy heart wants, I have changed mine on all machines running here on my LAN ( 6 ) to the name of the city that I live in, they all have to be the same ! I then met with total happiness, I wish you the same.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have used Cisco Network Magic for a long while now and i
    t really does connects computers, printers and other devices in one network with point and click ease. You can print from any computer, share files, photos and music; and protect your wireless network from intruders. And that includes XP to XP or 7 and vice versa. I have certainly found it the easiest answer.
    There are different versions and free trials to be found at

http://www1.purenetworks.com/product/essentials.php
    Last edited by GeeWizzz; 2012-01-12 at 03:48. Reason: Font size gone crazy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    First things first disable all personal firewalls and in particular norton/symantec security apps.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by omendata View Post
    First things first disable all personal firewalls and in particular norton/symantec security apps.
    Once you are open to infection. Then what does he do?