Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Administrator
    Thanks
    The "applies to" section in the KB article has XP Pro & XP Home listed.

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Joe, didn't notice the + in front of Applies to. Sorry. Wil try the msi.

Sjors

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, just the MS fixit. Restarted the pc and at first sight it helped. Program started in 15-20 secs. But the third time it took about 2 minutes to start. That's about 50% better but not the way it should be of course.
    Robocopy at the server to the pc of 700mb took 7 minutes, at the pc from the server 12 minutes.
    Have to say robocopy has no stable speed in copying, most of the time you can see the percentage going up by .1%, sometimes it accelerates about .3%.
    A ccleaner didn't help.
    Any clue?
    Sjors

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    nobody anymore?

sjors

Administrator
    Thanks
    Sorry, I'm out of ideas. Have you scoured Technet?

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Not really, just a search by Google but found no articles on technet for this problem.
    tnx anyway
    Sjors

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Was at my client's today and noticed another pc with the same problem. The weird thing is next to it is another one, same hardware, same XP, patches etc, but that one didn't have the problem. Both have 1Gb-nics. Getting more mistified, don't you think?

Sjors

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Make sure the PCs and switch are set to auto negotiate. Setting Gb links to anything else is asking for problems.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks

Talking slggish sbs 2011

Hello I too am having performance issues with sbs2011, first noticed when running copy jobs to new server took ridiculus times.. since then there was a problem
    browsing to other 2003 Server when broswsing by server name i get error Error code: 0x80070035 The network path was not found. But if i browse by ip address of FQDN it connects fine.. A few users lose connection to shares on sbs2011 server, i re -run logon script and connects again.. i restart server and all is ok for a while then it returns. At the moment i am downloading all service packs for Server 2008 R2 including sp1 then i will be applying hotfix http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2194664. Will let u know if helps.

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Sjors, hello.

Picking up on Paul's last comment it sounds like a network bottleneck rather than server hardware/processes.

• Does ping and/or tracert show any unusual routes or timings from affected machines compared to good ones? (try them multiple times if the robocopy appears unstable)
    • What do the network adpater statistics show while attempting to robocopy the large test files?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    irl_ste, if you cannot connect to the machine by name alone then you have a DNS problem.
    Check the network suffix is the same on all machines - this should be set when you join the domain. To check the suffix enter this command in a Command Prompt window.
    ipconfig /all
    Try pinging the server by name only, the by FQDN.
    Check your DNS server is set up with the correct domain suffix.

cheers, Paul

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry guys, was waiting for alerts on this subject, didn't receive any after the one from Paul T on 1-25.
    After that I was out-of-business for some weeks concerning my back. All's well again, thank you.
    Except for this subject, I'm afraid. It persists and I found out it's on another pc in this network too. Different model though but another pc, same model, in this network doesn't seem to have the problem. It makes things more complicated to me.
    irl_ste, did you get any further with a solution?
    Tinto, I will try your suggestions in the near future, when I'm back at this client, will let you know.

tnx all,
    Sjors

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have been searching for a solution to what I think is a very similar situation for a while now. I have a client with an SBS 2011 Std. setup, Dell Poweredge T310, 16GB RAM, Xeon Proc., RAID1 for OS and RAID 1 for Data, replaced GB switch, new firewall/router, swapped OS installation to another physical server and the speed of the network seemed to increase while on a temporary hardware setup.

The problem is that there are random file transfer delays (in my case it's running an .exe over the network for a network client to a set of account software packages) which results in the Windows 7 Program is not responding messages for about 45 seconds to 2 minutes.

I'm just checking since this topic of slow file sharing performance on SBS 2011/2008 R2 is all over the internet and noone seems to have much success solving it. I have done all the recommendations from Microsoft, don't run any anti-virus on the server, and still have the problem.

Did you happen to solve your issue here?

Jeremiah

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Jeremiah,
    My client is happy with his new pc and Win7 but I didn't solve the issue with XP. He couldn't wait any longer, so I replaced the machine. There are still two other XP's in this network, one is having the same problem (will be replaced soon I hope <gr>) and the other one runs smoothly!
    Couldn't get a grip on it and finding many problems with this combination I told him I was not able to solve it.
    Won't help you either but nevertheless good luck.
    If you're able to find a solution please let us know.

Sjors

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123