2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Problem with Repair Installation of Windows

I have a custom built PC running XP Pro SP3. I had some problems after 2 years and performed a successful format and re-install using the supplied CD (which I had slipstreamed with SP3). I continued to perform monthly Windows Updates so Microsoft is happy that I have a registered, activated copy of the software.
    I now have some relatively minor issues and rather than do another total re-install I decided on a Repair Install. I followed the advice given by Michael Stevens* and also saved a copy of wpa.dbl. (there was no Undo_giuimode.txt in System32.) The installation was successful and I re-instated wpa.dbl but on requesting a Windows Update received a message that a key required for activation could not be found and that was that.

Why does a total re-install succeed and the Repair install fail? I do not want to have to do a total re-install again because of the large number of apps I have accumulated over the years.

Can anyone help? Thanks in advance.

*michaelstevenstech.com/xprepairinstall.htm

Thanks
    When you do a repair install, it should remain activated and there should be no need to mess with wpa.dbl.

Jerry

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KenWA View Post
    I do not want to have to do a total re-install again because of the large number of apps I have accumulated over the years.

Can anyone help? Thanks in advance.
    KenWA,
    Hello... Depending on what issues that you are experiencing ,the easiest thing to try (first) would be to from an "Elevated Command Prompt" Input..... sfc\scannow (system file checker) You may be required to load your disk if the i386 folder is not present on your OS.. If some file has gone missing this will replace\repair it Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)