New Lounger
    Thanks

Recommendations for a good backup program?

I started using Win 7's backup procedure after Fred's GLOWING review of it--then I had to RESTORE an image. What a disaster! I have never seen such a slow process--totally ridiculous. The image was of a partition with 32 gigs on it, and the restore ran more than six hours (I had to left it run overnight, so I don't know the total time). And this is on a fast Dell Studio system with 12 gigs of RAM and an Intel i7 processor.

I thought that Ghost was incredibly good back in the old days, but not today, as I understand it. Can anyone recommend a backup/restore program with these features:

1) No huge footprint--I don't want software bloat

2) Rock solid reliability

3) Both partition image and individual file backup/restore modes

4) Fast backup (Win 7 is good at that) AND fast restores (Win 7 is utterly horrible--who wrote that code?)

5) Reasonably priced

I would appreciate suggestions from members who've had a good experience.

Thanks,

Don

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Several apps come to mind. All have been discussed in detail in the Security and Backup Forum. I use Acronis True Image Home both 2010 and 2011 (not free) I have had good luck with both. I have not tried v 2012 although I have not heard anything good about it. Another mentioned is Macrium Reflect (both free and paid) Obviously you get more for the paid edition. Easeus ToDo v4 is out (I had a poor experience with v3.5 but have not tried v4) Tera Byte has a good product that many have discussed.

I would spend some time reading about these and others in the Security and Back up Forum and try them. Even the paid apps have trial apps available. Pick one that works for you.

When I create a new image (whenever changes occur) I usually include both the C Drive (Win 7) and W Drive (Win 8 DP). The file (about 25 GB compressed) takes about 20 to 25 minutes to my ext USB HD. The restoration is less than 10 minutes per partition. Have to restore 1 partition at a time, but usually only 1 gets trashed at a time.
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-01-11 at 19:08.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    I use BootIt Bare Metal from TeraByte Unlimited for partitioning, boot manager, and drive/partition imaging. It runs from its own environment, completely outside the Windows environment, which for me is a must. Prior to that I used BootIt Next Generation for a number of years on several machines. I have never had a problem of any kind, I've never had a restoration fail, and I have tested it numerous times, and continue to test drive images from time to time. For me it is rock solid, and I depend on it.

Drive images can be mounted and explored using Windows Explorer, and single files can be retrieved.

It has no footprint in Windows (except for TBI Mount, which has a tiny footprint). It can be installed on a dedicated 8MB partition on your hard drive, or booted from a CD or thumb drive.
    Last edited by bbearren; 2012-01-11 at 20:38.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

chambless (2012-01-16)

Thanks
    Have a look at this thread too.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

chambless (2012-01-16)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I use True Image, surprisingly fast, accurate, easy for drive image backup before adding extra programs.

I use Goodsync for folders and files that need to be synced and updated often to a backup drive. Easy, accurate, safe regular incremental backups.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Evolvei For This Useful Post:

chambless (2012-01-16)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    O&O software has a pretty good one but it is not free. $25 for single user.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to SlowTech For This Useful Post:

chambless (2012-01-16)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Macrium Reflect has a free edition. I have used it to backup and restore images. I have also mounted an image and pulled files from it. I only use it for periodic image backups, but you can schedule backups with it. The free edition does not do incremental backups if that is something you wanted, but the paid does. It compresses an image of my system of 23 GB in about 8 minutes at about 60% of its size. http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ldb For This Useful Post:

chambless (2012-01-16)

4 Star Lounger
    Hillsborough (San Francisco Bay area), California, USA
    Thanks
    Chambless,

EaseUS Todo Backup v.4. is free & does much more than Macrium Free (probably not important if you do only periodic bakups as klb does). See Ted's note above, but I haven't had a problem with it - perhaps because I don't have a double-booting system or a RAID array.

Zig