New Lounger
    Thanks

Post WIN7 DVD driver disabled

Hello
    I have just realised that my DVD driver is disabled. It isnot a device that I use much so could be like this for a few months.
    Device Manager reports it as follows
    'A driver(service) for this device has been disabled. Analternative driver may be providing this functionality (code 32)'. O

On checkingfurther this code seems to
    indicate that the Start type has been disabled in theregistry. However I do not know enough to locate this value in the registry to verifyits setting.
    The device in question is
    PLDS DVD+-RW DH-16AAS ATA device.
    I have updated the driver software. I have tried disabling,and then re-enabling the device. I have also tried uninstalling andreinstalling the device. All of the above make no difference
    My system is a Dell Studio XPS running Windows 7
    Any advice on where to go from here would be appreciated

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    Have you tried uninstalling the driver in Device Manager then rebooting and letting Windows rediscover the device? This usually works on both my Dell Inspiron 530 Desktop & Dell Inspiron 1564 Laptop.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanwayg View Post
    I have just realised that my DVD driver is disabled. It isnot a device that I use much so could be like this for a few months.
    Device Manager reports it as follows
    'A driver(service) for this device has been disabled. Analternative driver may be providing this functionality (code 32)'.

Any advice on where to go from here would be appreciated
    Hanwayg,
    Not sure if this applies Have a look Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the s that I received.
    I had tried both, but neither worked.
    I have resoilved the problem myself by a bit of blunt force.
    As the code 32 suggested that the device was disabled I went right through the registry
    searching for all START keys, and then looking at there values. I found an entry for a CDFS driver
    with a value of 4 - which denoted disabled. I changed this to 3 for manual load and this resolved
    my problem.
    Why, or how, it was set to 4 I have no idea
    Once again thanks for the input received

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    How did you search for START keys? I did a search for START but came up nothing to do with CDFS

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by curiousclive View Post
    How did you search for START keys? I did a search for START but came up nothing to do with CDFS
    "curious one" ,
    Hello... If you open "registry editor" and select "File">"Find" and then input "START"... hitting "F3" after each one ( i gave up after a zillion hits, just in "H KEY Classes Root" ) That's how one could find it ...i guess... Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    That's exactly how I did it.
    Just started searching for START values, looking for one that was set to 4 (disabled).
    I came across a small number but they did not seem to refer to the CD/DVD device.
    Eventually I found one that referred to a CDFS device, and it had a value of 4.
    I checked CDFS.SYS on Google and this seemed to relate to a CD drive.
    I decided, for want of something else to do, to try changing this value to 3.
    Once I had made the change I went into Device Manager, disabled the device, and
    then re-enabled it. It came back clean with no errors, and the drive worked.
    I should state here that I am not a good example to follow in that I think that I know
    more than I actually do, and this can be very dangerous.