New Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy Win 7 Backup - knowing if a scheduled backup succeed & excluding file types

Starting with Woodys article on "Build a complete Windows 7 safety net" I have been trying to set up a scheduled file backup that runs overnight. So far so good, I think the backup is running OK (completes OK if I initiate it manually), but I cannot find any log that indicates successful completion or otherwise. I tried Event Viewer, "Applications and Services Logs", Microsoft, Windows, Backup, Operational, but this is empty. I also looked in c:\Windows\Logs\Backup, but the logs here do not appear to contain any useful information.

I want to exclude certain file types e.g. thumbs.db files, but couldn't find a way to do this.

How do I schedule a 2nd backup for different files, that I want backed up to a different location on a different schedule?

NB I have tested True Image 2012 and Comodo Backup and given up on both. I haven't tested Macrium Reflect as there seems no way to evaluate it's file backup capabilities with the free version.

P.S. I am an IT Professional so I'm happy with changing registry etc if required.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

4 Star Lounger
    Hillsborough (San Francisco Bay area), California, USA
    Thanks
    VII,

You could try the free version 4.0 of EaseUS Todo Backup. It has both image- and file-based backup, differential & incremental backup, and scheduling as well as file-checking and email notification (success, failure, or both).

http://www.easeus.com/

P.S.: I agree with you re: Acronis
    Zig

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Zig. I will give EaseUS a try, just one reservation from looking through the documentation, it appears file backups may be based on including specified file types. I have always found it safer to do the reverse - include all file types by default and add exclusions - that's a fail safe approach, rather than finding when you need to do a restore that whoops that particular file type hadn't been added.