2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Multiple XP System Folders

My daughter has lost her Dell hard drive twice, had a friend rebuild the C and data partitions for her and now asked me to help her back up everything to a new external drive. Looking at it I am blown away by the multiple occurences of My Documents ( including all the other "My" folders), Documents and Settings, etc...

I'm thinking I can look at the target for the current XP references, combine the duplicate folder contents there and address duplicates that show up in the copy process. That surely will be a long and time-consuming process

Otherwise I could use a duplicate finder and give preference to the currently addressed XP folders, deleting the others. The question here is the risk of deleting system files that need to exist in mutiple folders.
    The D&S files scare me since they are there for 4 different user accounts multiple times.

It's such a ball of worms I wonder if I should dig in or just leave it be...
    Have you ever run across a similar case, and if so, what would you do?

Thanks
    This M$ site might be able to help you;http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888023
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. That reference is valuable. It confirms a fundamental approach I've considered in tracing which data folders the current XP installation is actually using.
    However, the good news is that there is only one OS installed on the C partition, so I don't think I'll have to address the boot file.

What she has, I believe, is a series of nested and parallel data folders ( My Documents, Documents and Settings, etc.) which the friend preserved trying to retain the individual accounts links, data, etc.

My thought is if I take some time identifying the properties of the primary folder icons in her current XP, I could delete or combine the multiple/redundant occurrences in her root C partition.

I don't think I can get into too much trouble with the "My" data folders, but what should I be careful of with the D&S folders?

I guess I can take those a step at a time, backing up before each change then rebooting to see if I've corrupted anyone's account settings. Man, that feels like a lot of work unless someone here can assure me XP is resilient enough to handle manipulations of D&S contents without crashing.

Worst case, seems like someone(s) might have to reinstall something. Right?
    In any case, looks like I'm in for an education in Windows user accounts management...

Thanks
    What's this "someone's" business?
    How many users are there on this PC?
    The old saying "the more the merrier" does NOT apply to users on a single PC.
    Anything beyond two users can and quite often does, become a bucket of worms.

I'd save all the pertinent data files to another drive of some description.....external HD or Flash Drive
    and then create one new user and blow off the rest. (Delete them).

That will clear the deck, or multiple data files, belonging to multiple users.

When someone gives me their old computer, I do the above to remove the old users data and not destroy the OS, drivers, etc.

Good Luck,
    Doc
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWho View Post
    I'd save all the pertinent data files to another drive of some description.....external HD or Flash Drive
    and then create one new user and blow off the rest. (Delete them).

That will clear the deck, or multiple data files, belonging to multiple users.

When someone gives me their old computer, I do the above to remove the old users data and not destroy the OS, drivers, etc.

Good Luck,
    Doc
    Thanks DW,
    Just to clarify, since you have had experience here, if I delete the extra user accounts I can see that XP would delete the associated D&S account folders.
    But I wouldn't expect it to delete their "My Documents", etc. folders.
    Am I wrong on that?
    If so, that would be great and solve the bulk of my problem.
    Ron