Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks

Why is Image Mastering API (IMAPI) needed to create ISO file for WDO?

I learned about windows defender off line in the windows secrets newsletter. I downloaded the installer so I could create a boot disk. When I selected burn CD, the next screen said I needed Image Mastering API. I don't want a lot of microsoft junk on my machine, so I figure I'll burn an ISO file. I have IMGBURN software that can do ISO files.

But the installer says I must have Image Mastering API even to create an ISO file.
    What is this IMAPI and why do I need it?
    Is there any way to create a windows defender offline ISO file without downloading more unknown software?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    IMAPI2 is the inbuilt CD burning software that comes with Vista and Windows 7 (Presumably you are using XP?)

Have a look here

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...er-offline-faq

And expand the line "Cannot proceed with DVD or CD creation"

Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, I am using XP sp3. I understand microsoft wants me to install IMAPI. I do not particularly care to install more microsoft software. I use Roxio and IMGBURN. I don't really want any more.

I want to know :
    A: why do I need IMAPI to create an iso file on my hard drive not my CD burner drive?
    B: Is there any way I can download the software without IMAPI?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm not clear on why you don't want this componant. Its a bit like saying I want air condidtioning in my car but don't want to use the manufacturers parts. The IMAPI is just something that needs to be there for it to work. IMAPI is native in Vista on up. Its an add on for XP. From the MS developer website: "The Microsoft Windows image mastering API enables applications to stage and burn images to CD, DVD, and Blu-ray optical storage media. Other disc-like media that lay images in the same manner can also use this API.". More than likey the 3rd party software you use has hooked into IMAPI for certain functions. This is the way Windows software is usually written, to take advantage of existing MS technology without reinventing the wheel. Contrary to popular belief, MS software is not bad. Its the 3rd party software that isn't always written to the Windows API that causes issues.
    Last edited by Doc Brown; 2012-01-05 at 15:23.
    Chuck

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    In answer to your questions

A. XP Does not have native CD/ISO creation installed therefore the IMAPI download is required.
    B. Possibly in the future, it is a beta release after all.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the info.

I did not know what IMAPI is. I thought it was burning software. Now I understand it is needed for xp. I will download and install.

Uhh, maybe I'll download windows defender at home on the windows 7 computer and create the Cd there.
    Thanks again.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You're welcome.

Just make sure to download the correct bitness for your XP installation (which I'm convinced is 32bit)

Lounger
    Thanks
    It burned just fine on my home pc with windows 7. I burned a 32 and 64 cd for future use. I will keep a copy of each at home and at the office, and hopefully never have to use them.

I was expecting the ISO option to be a simple download of an ISO file.

I must admit, burning a cd directly from a download is a pretty slick trick.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dalejanus View Post
    and hopefully never have to use them.
    This statement gives me the willy's. The whole idea of security tools like this is to use them as part of a multi-layered security scheme and they should be used on some periodic basis, e.g. once-a-month or once every two months. The idea is to be proactive and find things before they cause serious damage and not merely as surgery after the cancer has grown to the point where it is no longer able to be ignored. Please reconsider.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    I too, like many, get and read the Windows Secrets Newsletter.
    I was somewhat surprised to read the article about the WDO.

I too run Windows XP-Pro-SP3 and I've never installed that IMAPI thingamajigger.
    Maybe it came with SP3 or Nero which I use along with ImgBurn.

I've long since disabled the CD burning Service in XP, since I primarily use Nero for data disk creation and ImgBurn for ISO creation or burning.

I did the download of both the 32 bit and 64 bit versions of WDO and burned the CD's and
    flash drives for both and got no error messages about IMAPI.

I ran the 32 bit 'Boot & Scan' of WDO on my own PC and after an hour, it was only, like 2/3 finished with the scan.
    And I keep my C: drive junk free and as small as possible. So on a bloated HD, full of junk files, like most Computer are, it could take all day to complete a scan. It's much too slow for on-site repair work. In a shop or home environment it might be OK.

I would have thought that something that's basically running in a less-than Windows environment, would run faster.
    So, in short, I'm not at all excited about the program.

I do all my Ghost backups in DOS, because it's so much faster than Windows. I back up my whole C: drive in about 6 minutes.
    So I'm hard pressed to understand why WDO is so slow.

I have other, very good software to scan for Malware, so I probably won't be using WDO very much.

Cheers Mates!

The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    This statement gives me the willy's. The whole idea of security tools like this is to use them as part of a multi-layered security scheme and they should be used on some periodic basis, e.g. once-a-month or once every two months. The idea is to be proactive and find things before they cause serious damage and not merely as surgery after the cancer has grown to the point where it is no longer able to be ignored. Please reconsider.

Being proactive, to me, means active virus protection, from windows security essentials, McAfee, Norton, etc ,that prevents bad stuff from coming in. As well as Router based firewalls, NAT, and other methods. I use my preferred anti virus, Windows security essentials for scheduled scans. I guess I'd call that a mulit layered scheme. I plan on using Windows defender when those tools, and my other tools such as Malwarebytes, fail. I don't think scanning my computer every so often with different scan tools is a great anti virus strategy, especially since DrWho reports windows defender take several hours.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    That's pretty 'weakly' and I much prefer "Weekly". (enjoy the pun)

I feel like I'm being lax and lazy when I only run all my Security Software once a week. Having some piece of malware on your computer for a week can do irrepairable damage. So I have my best Anti Malware software running in REAL TIME, so it can catch anything that might try to get into my PC. Then I run everything once a week, usually right after I get my weekly Spybot S&D updates.

It's a jungle out there...... and I want to keep it "Out There".

Cheers Mate!
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    And, dalejanus, do not just burn WDO and put it on the shelf. It needs to be updated before use, and once burned, the Image cannot be altered to add updates. It is best to download and use WDO when needed, fresh from the source. If you're going to run an all-day (half-day on my 64-bit Windows 7 laptop) scan, you should be willing to take the time to download WDO fresh and do a current updates burn.

If the WDO CD is going to work (TEST IT before you need it, and test on the exact machine(s) where it may need to be used.) it can be burned from any PC. I'd go with the download and burn on Windows 7 option, because chances are, this will be faster and less error-prone.

BTW, my Windows XP Pro SP3 laptop (WinBook W535) does not have sufficient RAM to run WDO. As stated in the article, you need much more than the 512MB of RAM that laptop has.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2012-01-12 at 13:08.
    -- Bob Primak --

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bobprimak View Post
    And, dalejanus, do not just burn WDO and put it on the shelf. It needs to be updated before use, and once burned, the Image cannot be altered to add updates. It is best to download and use WDO when needed, fresh from the source. If you're going to run an all-day (half-day on my 64-bit Windows 7 laptop) scan, you should be willing to take the time to download WDO fresh and do a current updates burn.

Ahh, you bring up very good points that I did not think about, and considerably reduces the value of WDO. These days I just assume that all anti-virus(uh anti-malware?) knows to update itself.

But booting from a CD would not have any network data for that machine, so connecting to the internet would need configured. Not likely.

Looks like I'll put my trust in Malwarebytes and Bleeping computer's Rkill. I'll put the installer program in my tools folder as something else to try.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dalejanus View Post
    But booting from a CD would not have any network data for that machine, so connecting to the internet would need configured. Not likely.
    However, If you use a bootable USB key and connect it to a machine that is using a wired network connection it updates the definitions just fine, I just tested it on my Desktop. Of course, It failed on my Laptop because it connects via Wireless. So just RJ-45 cable the machine when you want to update the definitions.

Update: When I put the USB back in the laptop it said it was out of date again. Of course since it can't get to the Web it just assumes it's out of date. I cabled it up and it was off and running doing the update, or at least appearing to, and coming back with today's dates on the Home screen.
    Last edited by RetiredGeek; 2012-01-12 at 18:17.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast