New Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy Vista BSOD after AVG update

So there I was, fixing a friend's computer after they filled it with viruses (foremost OpenCloud virus). It appeared to be back in fighting form, and then I installed AVG 2012 Free. It started to scan, and then gave me a BSOD. Now I get caught up in an endless unsuccessful start loop. Safe mode does not work, nor does Last Known Good Configuration. I tried to follow the instructions to change the file names using Midnight Commander on the AVG Rescue CD. That was not successful. On another forum, it was suggested to remove AVG from the Program Files if changing the names did not work. I tried that as well. Now when I attempt safe mode, it hangs up on crcdisk.sys instead of the previous avgidseh.sys file that was causing the problem. The computer did not come with a Vista recovery/reinstallation CD either. I don't know much about this computer, but here's what I have:

Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop running Vista Home Basic
    Intel Pentium dual-core, 1.6 GHz
    1024 MB Memory
    120 GB HD

The error the BSOD is giving me is:
    0x00000024
    0x00190444,0x8583EA88, 0xc0000102, 0x00000000.

I ran diagnostics, and it says everything passes. I'm sure it has to be linked to the bad AVG installation, but I can't figure out where to go from here. AVG techs were no help at all, and they say it's a Vista issue.

Any suggestions? I'm not a computer guru, so I don't mind having it spelled out for me like I'm an idiot.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Did you check for a boot secter virus.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Still AVG

No, it was virus clear before I loaded AVG. I was able to borrow a Vista recovery disc from a friend and I used the Repair Computer option. That got me back in so I could completely disable AVG. I have now removed it from all computers and installed Microsoft Security Essentials. So far so good!

Thanks
    The problem was a 'Non-Computer-Tech" trying to do something way beyond his pay grade.

Never install any AV program on a computer that you already know, or suspect, is infected by viruses.
    The virus will often times infect the AV program as it's trying to install, rendering it useless.

If you're going to do computer work, you need the proper tools. In this case that would be
    a set of "Portable" malware removal tools, on a Flash Drive or CD. Many well known AV and AS
    writers provide 'Portable' versions of their software. Spybot Search & Destroy is just one
    example. I like to run it from a Flash drive, because I can run it there and get the latest updates
    which load to the Flash Drive, keeping the program up to date. AVG puts out one called 'VCleaner'.
    And there is another one called "Stinger". (That one's put out my McAfee)

But, loading anything on an infected HD, is a recipe for disaster, which you've already discovered.

If that user would have had a Backup of their entire C: drive, we'd probably not be having this
    discussion. Also, if they'd been properly protected, they would never have gotten infected in the
    first place.
    Just installing an Anti-Malware program on a PC is not enough. It must be properly set up to get
    updates and run scans automatically, if possible. AVG falls into that category.
    With AVG 2012, either the free or pro versions, the update and scan schedulers are in the 'Tools>
    Advanced Settings>Schedules'
    section. When I install AVG for my customers, I make sure that
    those schedules are properly set up to run at a time when most likely the computer will be on-line.

The programs like Spybot S&D, that don't get automatic updates or run scans, need to me manually
    updated at least once a week. Then the scan needs to be run to make sure nothing bad has crept
    in since the last update.

I didn't mean for this post be become a Rant. Sorry but this is not a simple topic.

Cheers Mates!
    The Doctor
    Last edited by DrWho; 2012-01-26 at 09:19.
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    And, BTW, give that poor computer at least one more GB of memory, better make it four GB altogether.

You can download the old, free version of SIW here. SIW will tell you exactly what type of memory you need, how much memory your system can handle and what actually is installed now. One caveat about SIW: PLEASE de-select Open Candy (or any add-on!) when installing SIW.

Maybe you have to remove two 512MB chips and replace them with new chips, maybe you can just add one 1GB chip. If you buy two new DDR2 chips they have to be paired! I like Newegg.com for this sort of thing.

And, please no reminders about Vista Basic being most likely 32-bit and not seeing more than 3.x GB. A Vista machine has most likely already DDR2 memory and they have to be same type and size for the speed advantage of DDR2 to pan out. And since (computer ) memory is cheap nowadays...
    Eike J Heinze
    What I am about
    SE Wisconsin

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the suggestion. I will take a look at that.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    "...beyond HER pay grade" actually.

Just to clarify, I didn't install AV onto the computer while it was still infected. I had cleaned out the viruses, run malware removal from a flash drive (including Spybot), just as I always do. HOWEVER, once I installed AVG 2012 from a flash drive, the problems began. It was from a bad AVG update, which I have since had confirmed from others on various forums. Once I was able to use the Vista recovery CD, I was able to get past the AVG files that were causing the problem. I removed it all, installed Microsoft Security Essentials, set everything to auto-update (as I always do), and things are working wonderfully. I have been installing AVG on people's computers for years now, but no more. AVG was no help in fixing the problem, and kept blaming Microsoft. I have learned my lesson.

And yes, I preach to people about keeping their computers up to date. But they often don't call me until after the fact, so it's a little late by then.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, Yes, Yes!

@powertrip31
    Lady, you did the right thing!
    Since August 2009 it's MSE only for me.
    Btw, MSE was officially released on Sept. 29th. 2009.

Should you look at my blog you'll know that most of my customers really are "computer illiterate". And yes, they always call when it's too late instead of asking before they install My Web Search (only as an example!) or the like.
    Last edited by eikelein; 2012-01-27 at 06:59. Reason: Want a smiley...
    Eike J Heinze
    What I am about
    SE Wisconsin

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Oh man, the lady I work with installed My Web Search and then kept blaming the "shoddy computer" for all her troubles. I spent forever getting rid of all the toolbars and free screensavers she had loaded. I nearly had an aneurysm.