New Lounger
    Thanks

Question Transitioning from AtariBASIC to the modern world

My coding skills are out-of-date. I gave up my education to raise my family with the intention of picking them up later. Later never really happened.

I've had some luck doing some beginning programming in VB-6, VBA and even several flavors of VB.net. I had gotten pretty adept at writing DOS Batch Files and working with Lotus 123 in college. But the reality is that whenever I get the urge to try again my mental set goes back to my experiences with AtariBASIC for the 8-bits and GFA-Basic for the STs and I get stuck in the old dog / new tricks paradox.

One of my biggest problems is that most of the sources for programming seem almost set-up to dissuade the beginner as an approach to security. Most of the time I know what I want to do and even have a rough idea of the commands, functions and statements required to achieve my goals, but a lot of the simple stuff feels like jumping through hoops. I want to get back to not feeling stupid!

What language / coding environment would you recommend for starting over and what low cost (approaching free) resources would you recommend for tutorials and training?

Also could someone recommend the best command references to Java and JavaScript something that is complete, well indexed and logically laid out for one stop shopping

Thanks in advance,
    Ted

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks

Thumbs up

Ted,

Welcome to the lounge.

If you have Microsoft Office I'd suggest starting with VBA as it is both free and easy to get started with. There are also lots of sites on the web with tutorials and references at no cost and of course there is lots of help right here. If you search the forum on VBA Books you'll find past posts listing some of the favorite references used by loungers, myself included.

Good Luck in your quest.
    Last edited by RetiredGeek; 2011-02-20 at 08:47. Reason: Add Links
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,153 Times in 1,062 Posts
    Web development requries a great number of skills and knowledge. Obviously HTML, CSS, Javascript, if you were to build a static, HTML based site. If you want to build dynamic sites, then you need to choose a platform. Probably the one that would allow you to get faster into it, would be ASP.NET, where you could put some use to your existing VB.NET knowledge, as VB.NET is one of the languages you could use. That being the choice, www.asp.net would be the place to start, with tutorials and free tools that could get you started. It's a steep learning curve, so some books could be in order, but the site has some links to relevant books too.

You could also use non MS technologies, PHP based. The site I linked before has links to free and commercial web apps, CM systems and a lot of other interesting stuff.
    Last edited by ruirib; 2011-02-20 at 15:16. Reason: typo

Thanks
    What is your target platform: Windows? web browsers (native, without plugins)? Flash player? Silverlight player? Mac? iPhone? Unfortunately, it remains challenging to find an Esperanto for computers...

New Lounger
    Thanks
    From my experience, I'd highly recommend starting with HTML in a non-WYSIWYG environment (i.e. Notepad.) From there, you can easily branch in traditional ASP (again - in Notepad) Once you've mastered those two, you can branch out to ASP.Net and the rest!

The problem with WYSIWYG's (in my opinion) is you're jumping right in to something that's capable of producing an awesome product - and you don't know where to start. Once you get the basics down, then you can build that awesome product!

http://www.w3schools.com is an awesome resource for beginners, and they cover a LOT of different languages! Good luck, and have fun!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    While the learing curve is somewhat up hill, I would suggest Ruby on Rails (RoR). It is a programming language that is a combination of two programming languages, the first is Ruby and the second is Rails. It is designed in such a manner that while needing some basic knowledge in Ruby, the majority of the language is in Rails. There are many sites that can explain much better then I have. Oh, did I foget to mention that RoRs is FREE!! It is a language that is for web development, and let me tell you that good RoR programmers are much desired for employment. It's a great way to prepare for that "Dream Job".

Hope that this helps.