Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Dean,

I wonder if PDF-XChange Viewer would do what you need. You could swap the background and print colors. View, Customize UI, Colors:

Might Work, Worth a try:

UserInterface.jpg
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

Dean-S (2012-01-13)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    Dean,

I wonder if PDF-XChange Viewer would do what you need. You could swap the background and print colors. View, Customize UI, Colors:

Might Work, Worth a try:

UserInterface.jpg
    The same can be done in Nitro PDF, and I suspect Foxit Reader has the option to eliminate background colors or swap them with the foreground colors.
    -- Bob Primak --

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bobprimak For This Useful Post:

Dean-S (2012-01-13)

Thanks
    I suspect many different PDF apps could do this. Just takes a little looking.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dean-S View Post
    Does anyone know how to change a black background/white font pdf to white background/black font?
    This may be a slow process, but it will produce the outcome that you seek.

1) Save each page of the document as an image file.

2) Open each page in turn in an image editor and change it to negative. I use Irfanview which is a free download and the commands are just that: select Image on the toolbar and click on negative.

You can then convert the images back to a single PDF file.

Cheers

Billy

Lounger
    Thanks
    Many thanks for all of the good information. I had no idea that there were so many alternatives out there. Best regards.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted,
    I have tried PDF-XChange Viewer and am pleased with the results. However, there are lots of options and I wouldn't be sure but what there may be a few bugs. Nevertheless, this program has done a good job with pdf files for me and I would recommend giving it a try. Thanks.

Thanks
    You are welcome. I am also pleased with this app.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Erniek View Post
    If you go to the following link you will be able to download a FREE PDF unlocker. Only problem (as far as I know) is tht it only works with 32 Bit systems. I have used it on a few occasions without problems.

When installed it puts a shortcut onto your desktop and all you have to do is drag and drop the pdf file onto it and a few seconds later you have a normal PDF file that you can do as you want with.

http://free-pdf-unlocker.en.softonic.com/
    Problem with this program is that it 'Doesn't work with new PDF files' - not sure quite what that means, but it wouldn't work with one recently with PDF version 1.6.

Does anyone have any recommendations for one that works with later versions?

Chris

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Any conventional OCR software (e.g. OmniPage or Osiris Readiris) it will convert a PDF to text (with graphics), and what you do with it then is up to you. Just don’t do anything that would violate the copyright, which, it may be argued, you have already done by converting it.

This thread has been around a long time, and to add to the smorgasbord of PDF readers I should point out that Windows 8 has a reader named Reader, which reads PDF files. I uninstalled it early in the game without really testing it, so any reports of its quirks and capabilities will have to come from others. At least the price is right.

The name ‘Reader’, coming from Microsoft, is of interest in light of my post(s) about Microsoft Reader, which is still alive, still downloadable, and which I have installed under Windows 8. Microsoft just doesn’t want to call attention to it.

Edited to add:
    I spoke too soon: I still have Windows 8 Reader (unpinned) and can say a few things about it.

As with all of the apps, it looks pretty dead until you right-click on it, at which time it will show a number of its features. You can view Cover page, Two Pages, Single page, Continuous, Open (which just means to display a new PDF document), Save as (which sounds exciting, but which appears to just pick a destination and lets you give it a different name, like Fizz Tonic, which doesn't sound as dull as most PDFs), and the truly exciting 'More...'. More... is a bit of a letdown for anyone looking for new functionality: Rotate, Info (about the PDF settings), Bookmarks and Close are as much as you get.

On the bright side, it is native to Windows 8, it is well-integrated, and it has an easy interface. For users who just want a PDF reader this should do nicely, and it's already part of the system.
    Last edited by dogberry; 2012-09-15 at 06:36. Reason: Added Win 8 info

Thanks
    As with many of the include apps, Reader seems an OK reader, but somewhat basic. As dogberry says for those that just need a simple reader it works pretty well.

I had to include a 3rd party reader to allow certain web based PDF files to open (pay stubs, bank statements, etc.) The Reader did have some problems with these.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I suggest that you check out WordPerfect Office Suite, for which the current upgrade price (it qualifies as an upgrade if you have Windows Office) is $160. If you are a home or student user, there is an even better deal.

WP Office had extensive PDF capabilities before Win Office had any, it will import files from Win Office and export files to Win Office, and as nearly as I can see, it will do everything you want. You can download a trial and see for yourselves.

Corel also has a product called PDF Fusion, and it is a handy utility. The price bounces around a certain amount, but if you are on their mailing list you might get a deal.

I have both products (not the latest version) but I also have Acrobat itself, which eliminates the need for workarounds. I don’t have a vested interest in promoting these products, but this reminds me of another thread in which someone went looking for alternatives to MS Office and found a million but not WP, which to me is by far the closest competition. MS Office is my primary office suite, but if you can accommodate a second that can do things Win Office simply cannot do you might consider it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12