Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: slow-slow-slow

Lounger
    Thanks

slow-slow-slow

I recently lost a hard drive and had to format a different one. I loaded XP, but I could not find the CD for the MB, so I went online to get the drivers. No matter what I tried, I could only get a couple to work. I finally took the PC to a shop that I normally use and they loaded the drivers. Since then, the PC has gotten slower and slower. I've used MS Security Essentials, System Mechanic, and Malwarebytes, none show any problems. I'm running XP-Pro, an ASUS MB A8N5X. This is a home-built PC (by me). There are other items that don't work properly-- I leave Win Explorer open all the time, when I restart, it should come up again, most of the time it doesn't. I downloaded a fresh copy of RealPlayer, and that doesn't work properly either. Everything runs slow!

Any suggestions?

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    How much memory have you installed and how much memory is being used?
    Is the CPU busy, if so, doing what?
    How full is the disk and has it been defragged recently?
    Is there any disk activity while it is slow?
    Is it slow to boot up?
    How many background apps have you installed to start at boot up - check with the Services tool.

If you think there is a driver and or hardware issue, open Device Manager and check for any misconfigured or missing drivers for the motherboard chipset. Install correct drivers for your motherboard if any are missing.

Once you are sure you have all your drivers correctly installed and are sure you have enough memory to prevent constant disk swapping, checkout the MS Clean boot procedure.

Lounger
    Thanks
    There is 1 Gb of memory. The CPU is very busy (70 to 100%) memory roughly 200,000 available, sys cache 390,000. MsMpEng.exe-System, BrccMCtl.exe- Jgk, Searchindexer.exe are the main users. The HD is 500 Gb, only 61,245,767,680 being used. Yes, it's slow to boot up. The only thing in Startup is APC-UPC. In Device Mgr, there are two items in yellow- MS Kernel DLS Synthesizer, and MS Kernel GS Synthesizer. I have not installed the two corrupted drivers yet. Anything else I can do until then?

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    OK, Your disk space is fine, and even if it were fragmented, shouldn't cause a big headache just yet, though it may still be worthwhile running a defrag later in the process.

I'm guessing you have some problems with audio on the machine as the missing/bad drivers are required for correct audio functions.

1GB RAM is ample for XP to run although you appear to be using quite a lot for a machine not doing much. It might be worthwhile looking more carefully at what is using the memory.

The APC UPC entry in Startup - does that refer to an APC UPS ? I've not heard of APC-UPC, but wonder if it's a typo? If it is, then perhaps disconnect the USB data/control cable to the UPS during boot and see it it makes a differnece. Sometimes systems can have problems if USB connected devices do not communicate correctly - the process hangs and slow s the machine to a crawl. On the other hand if it's not a UPS, then I'm not sure what it refers to.

The elephant in the room however, is your CPU usage and that may also cause the slow boot too. Something is eating your CPU cycles. Perhaps a corrupt program, perhaps a bad driver, perhaps some malware. Does Task Manager give any indication about what is using the CPU? If not you could try Process Explorer to find out.

The motherboard is a slightly older design running an S939 CPU, but that is not intrinsically a problem. However, it may be running a single core processor and that may be a contributing factor when the CPU use is very high.

Lounger
    Thanks
    The AOC is a typo, should be UPS. I'm pretty sure the CPU is a dual-core. The main usage of the CPU is in my last post. Firefox- 103,000K, MsMpEng.exe-System 51,000K, BrccMCtl.exe- Jgk 39000K, Searchindexer.exe 33,000L are the main users. I'm going to disconnect all my USB devices and see what happens. I'll let you know.

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Understood on the UPS - certainly worth checking for USB hang processes then. Also be worthwhile removing the USB connector to your Brother printer too.

Re the CPU, you've listed processes in decreasing memory order use rather than CPU utilisation: In task manager click on the top of the CPU column to sort on decreasing CPU use (normally you click twice, the first sorts on increasing then the second click sorts on decreasing utilisation). Make sure you are viewing all processes as per the button in Task Manger. Alternatively try Process Explorer as noted.

Lounger
    Thanks
    System Idle Process is using anywhere from 70% to 99%. Occasionally MsMpEng jumps to the top with about 45%. Removed all USB devices- 2 Brother printers and the APC-UPS, very little difference is boot time. Also, I found something else. I actually have 2Gb of RAM,(4 pieces) but when I looked, the first one was in backwards and not in all the way. I tried putting it the right way, but it wouldn't boot at all. I removed it, and now it shows 1.5Gb of RAM.

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I'm gong to take this on face value for the moment:

CPU is near to idle
    RAM use is higher than normal, but not causing excessive swapping
    Disk is not full
    Machine is slow to boot, but only one process in Startup.

That suggests a hardware fault and you have noted some issues with drivers, so I would go ahead and locate the drivers to install.

However.....

There are some mixed messages: this is stated as being a personally built system, but you are not sure if it's a single or dual core CPU; not sure how much RAM you have and the RAM that is installed is not installed correctly. There are indications that you are not well versed in the system quoting memory utilisation rather than CPU when asked and disk utilisation in KB. You also had a problem with a disk that went bad, found a new one and installed XP Pro (as opposed to XP Home). Perhaps I worry about nothing, but I am not 100% sure about the bigger picture here.

Please forgive me if I have misread the story; there are often genuine reasons why things don't add up - perhaps you could clarify?

Lounger
    Thanks
    I installed XP-Pro because that's what I bought when I built this PC. The new HD was one I got from Western Digital on a warranty replacement. I might not know exactly what you are asking for, but I've put together PC's since 1999 with help from my son and friends. I don't know what happened with the memory card, or why it was in backwards? I had 2 PC's, the other one had 2 Gb RAM in two cards, this has 2 Gb RAM in 4 cards. I don't think that I put it in wrong, it might have been someone at the shop. Right now, there are 3 cards in the system for 1.5Gb. This one was built in '03 so I don't remember everything about it. I've never had to worry about some of the things you asked about before, so I don't have a lot of experience with it. Just for your info, I'm 73 years old, retired since 1999. I'm going to try to find the right drivers and load them. I think there's a possibility that XP might be corrupted, and I might run XP Repair.

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Hello jgk1938, thanks for the reply.

Your comments clarify a few inconsistencies and set my mind at rest. Sorry for suggesting that there might have been anything amiss.

I do think it important to have the full and correct set of motherboard drivers installed. The support site for that motherbaord is here. In the Downloads section you should be able to find all the motherboard drivers, manuals, utilities and other software you need. I would seriously consider looking at all the drivers on that site, not just the ones that are marked with an error: there are quite likely to be newer drivers released.

When you have the full set of drivers, we can then work on any remaining reasons for the slow performance. There are some fairly easy steps that can help identify what is happening.

Let us know how you get on.

Lounger
    Thanks
    When I downloaded the drivers from ASUS, there were two that I couldn't do anything with. They both ended in .rar. ACPI_10434.rar, Chipset_WINXP32_V665.rar The PC is still as slow as before. Everything else seemed to work OK. A couple of them just showed a Command Prompt window with some commands, and disappeared. The rest worked normal for a setup pgm. Any ideas?

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    To open RAR files, you could use 7-Zip. Download it for free from http://www.7-zip.org/. You want the 32Bit .exe version.

If you wanted to jump ahead for now though you could also start investigating the reason for slow behaviour.

Given what you have already posted, you have plenty of RAM and it is not swapping out to disk. So, the next port of call is to disable all the start-up processes, reboot and then one-by one switch them back on until you find the one that slows the machine. To do this you have to use the System Configuration Utility....You might want to print this bit out to refer to it:

Click the Start Button, from the menu, select Run. In the dialog box that opens type "msconfig" {without the quotes} and click OK. Select the Start-up Tab and click Disable All, then click Apply and Close. Restart as requested by the pop-up window.

You may get a pop-up warning message that the machine has been started in a diagnostic mode. Close the warning message if it appears. With a bit of luck the PC should boot much faster. Assuming it does, go back o the System Configuration Utility {Click the Start Button, from the menu, select Run. In the dialog box that opens type "msconfig" etc...} and one by one tick the entries in the Start-up tab to turn them back on. Click Apply and re-boot after each time you re-enable start-up process. When you find the problem, the machine will start much slower. Then you can investigate which process that is and make the necessary adjustments.

If the machine still starts very slow even after disabling all start-up processes, you have a different problem which we can investigate.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I apologize for jumping in and please correct me if I am wrong but, depending on the type of MB, sometimes filling 3 channels for memory does not work. Some MB's (See owners manual) require the channels be filled in a certain order. You may have memory in A & B or, in C & D or, fill all A, B, C,D but, you cannot fill A, B, and C. Usually misconfiguration results in sporadic shut downs and programs to terminate or fail to load. Try removing the stick occupying the wrong slot and give it a shot.
    Regards,

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    No problem at all cmc1. What you say is quite valid and should only take a few minutes to check.

I suspect it's not the root cause of the slow beahviour, but even if it's not, the motherboard will be running sub-optimal with 3 sticks rather than 2 or 4 because it it would be able to run in dual channel mode.

Any progress jgk1938?

Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm back again. PC is still slow. Tried msconfig disabling all, not much difference that I could see.. Here are the hardware devices I'm using. 2- Western Digital 500Gb HD's, a Hitachi DVD drive GD-2500, a Pioneer DVD drive DVR-112D, a Memorex USB device (this gives me 4 USB ports up front). The two Sound drivers I mentioned before are still yellow, I've downloaded and installed everything on the ASUS site except the BIOS. There is some kind of problem with the IDE, the two DVD drives show up in Win Explorer, on My Computer- Manage, but on the Hitachi, nothing will start. If I put in a CD, I can see the files on it, but the .exe files will not run. The Pioneer seems OK. The power supply is an OKIA, 400 watts. I also checked in the manual for MB for memory placement. I removed the 3rd stick, the other two are in A1 & B1 as the manual specifies, and Properties shows 1 Gb RAM. The CPU is an AMD Athlon 64 3000+, 1.81GHz. If you need any more info, let me know

Joe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast