Thread: What did I do?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

What did I do?

Hello. I went and moved my pictures to another location and now I'm confused as to what I did. I was trying to move my whole My pictures folder and contents to the "pictures" folder in librarys, now I have my user folder under the pictures folder in public pictures. I know this was a bone headed thing I did, so could someone please slap me with a wet noodle and tell me please how to get things resituated? I tried deleted and moving the pictures out of public pictures being that I didn't want them shared with whomever if they were to connect to my router. Here's a screen shot.Untitled.jpg

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

4 Star Lounger
    Hillsborough (San Francisco Bay area), California, USA
    Thanks
    Gomek,

Right-click on My Pictures, go to the Locations tab, and direct the folder to wherever you want.

MyPicturesProperties.png

Zig

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Zig For This Useful Post:

Gomek (2011-09-28)

Thanks
    Moving the folder the way Zig shows allows the pointers in the Libraries to point to the new locations. If you just copy and paste, the Library pointers will not see the new locations.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

Gomek (2011-09-28)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you! One last thing. I have it back to before, except, all my pictures in libraries -> pictures -> my pictures are point to a folder in public -> public pictures. I understand what you said about changing the pointer, but before I mix things up again, do I copy all the files in the public folder and then change the pointer to show them in the my picture folder? I know this is straightforward, but sometimes the simplist things can be confusing. Thank.

Thanks
    If you use the preferred method you should be able to move the whole folder, including the pics back to their original locations.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This thread is a written record of the confusion and wasted time caused by the wonderful new Library System that Microsoft has forced on us. The Microsoft Boosters here say over and over and over how wonderful and useful you will find it once you learn it. They conveniently overlook the enormous effort involved in learning not only the new file structure which has been forced on us, but finding and remembering the location where Microsoft has hidden the plethora of controls for this wonderful new layer of abstraction. This thread is a collection of new detail and work arounds which we must store in our brains if we want to use Win7.

A few folks see another possible path. There are a few of us out here who are just stupid enough to be satisfied with the data file structure that we have created for ourselves. We (unlike Microsoft) know and understand our data storage needs and have developed a structure which, in our ignorance, we believe to be meeting our needs already. I have no problems with the design and implementation of the new Microsoft Library System. I very much do have a problem with Microsoft forcing this new wonder of theirs upon me (us). Anyone who writes software (as I do) knows how simple is to put an off switch on this Wonderful New Feature. But, by design, they do not offer us that off switch. Nope, these arrogant people are determined to force it down our throats because they know how we should be using our computers. They have absolutely no idea how many tens of thousands of hours of wasted time they mandate with their Wonderful New Feature, and they very clearly do not care in the least. So, Joe User's only recourse is this forum thread, and a hundred others like it around the world, as millions of people try to sort out this Wonderful New Feature. Of course, what they would really like is to simply get on with using their computer.

There is no real problem with Microsoft's latest Wonderful New Feature. The real problem is Microsoft mandating that every user of their op sys will have no other option than using the Wonderful New Feature. So, what you have are some folks who realize that it is likely a lot less tomfoolery and wasted time to create/find that off switch than it is to learn how to control/use the Wonderful New Feature. See http://www.askvg.com/how-to-disable-...-in-windows-7/ Needless to say,third party registry hacks like these are much more likely to create problems than if the arrogant faction at Microsoft simply stepped aside and allowed the creation of an off switch for this Wonderful New Feature. Don't hold your breath. . . .

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Spafford View Post
    ...There is no real problem with Microsoft's latest Wonderful New Feature. The real problem is Microsoft mandating that every user of their op sys will have no other option than using the Wonderful New Feature...
    I'm not forced to use Libraries, nor is anyone else. I simply don't use them. They sit there in the left pane empty, which, I find, gives me more satisfaction than getting rid of them would give. I still use the same system of partitions and folders I used with Windows 2000 Pro and XP.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I think problem solved. I did the same before.. We all learn on experience.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the heads up, guys. I am about to rebuild this install as file system has become corrupted. Using Windows default install, it found all of my old data and populated libraries without asking. I'll see if I can also stay away from the wonderful new system now that I know it can be done. Thanks.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Bob Spafford For This Useful Post:

Bravejoe (2012-02-25)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    @ Bob S,
    Amen! I agree about unnecessary layers and forced relearns by users.

We learn that management levels should be as flat as possible. Layers of bureaucracy is supposed to create problems.
    On the other hand, I feel the pain of MS.

We put baby-protectors on AC wall outlets against babies and kids, and invent hard to open bottle caps even. Compared to techie and to MS super techs, we users are babies. Some users grow up fast, no longer kids even. That 'AC outlet protector' is becoming annoyingly burdensome.

As a customer, I do not like Win7. Many things are hiding in layers deep. Or rearranged. And hate to relearn things all over again. If the features are more efficient, OK I'll learn it. But learning to go through new artificial layers, yet doing the same thing? No.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to scaisson For This Useful Post:

Bravejoe (2012-02-25)