Star Lounger
    Thanks

Grabbing a still from a DVD

Some time ago I took a recommendation from Gizmo Richards' website for a screen grabber from Gadwin.

This has always worked well with me and I've passed the recommendation on to others.

This evening I wanted to grab an close up of an item on a woodturning DVD viewed on VLC - paused the run and inch it to get the frame I wanted, ran Gadwin and it showed the extracted picture, but when saved and viewed in a viewer, it was just blank, and going back to the folder, the .jpg file is only 8k instead of the 100k or so of all other captures.

Any ideas why ? Is this something to do with VLC ? I had to fall back on taking a photo and adjusting it a bit.

Thanks
    Rob

Thanks
    Try using the Prt Scr key function, then paste the end product to Paint or some editing software for croping and/or other manipulations.

Thanks
    You can grab stills directly within VLC.

See http://wiki.videolan.org/Documentati..._Use/Snapshots

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Browni For This Useful Post:

oldwood (2012-01-07)

Thanks
    In VLC you PAUSE the video and then in the menu bar click on VIDEO/SNAPSHOT... It save the snapshot to MY PICTURES..

I also found that using SNIPPING TOOL in W7 you can get a higher resolution picture which is good for printing..
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My weapon of choice is the KMPlayer...it can capture each and every frame so I run it for a few seconds over the material I want a snapshot from, open in Faststone and pick out the best one or two and discard the rest. Works good that way cuz video has a pretty low framerate so one wants the one with the least movement in it for clarity and freeze frame doesn't always depict the actual capture due to player display glitches.